4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

New here, but already love it

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Oconnell.Josh

Default New here, but already love it

Hey everyone.

I'm new to the forums, and pretty new to mustangs. Currently I own an 88' notchback in need of a lot of TLC.

My best friend got me into Mustangs and out of tuners with his 01' V6. And since I have a lot of personal history with the 88' I recently bought, plus my history of 4 cylinders, I figured keeping the 2.3 was a great idea.

A little history on me and this car. When I was in high school, the first of my friends to get a car got this one from her aunt. We went everywhere in it. It has an A4LD in it and had lots of its own issues back in 03' when we rode around in it. Since then it has been sold to her cousin, back to her, to another friend of ours little sister (who did ungodly things to it, pictures to follow), and I was finally able to be in a spot where I could rescue it.

When I bought it, the battery was dead, the tires were flat, and the tranny is messed up enough that we had a really hard time trying to figure out what was neutral so we could roll it onto the trailer. We ended up saying "screw it" and attached two ratchet straps to the frame and the front of the trailer and pulling it up about a foot at a time. Once we figured out how to get one of the exhaust flanges over the edge of the trailer, we tied it down and off to the shop it went. (My friend is a mechanic) Once we got there it turned out that we found N without an issue, the left rear drum was locked up. I ended up buying a new battery, dropping the fuel tank, cleaning the hell out of it and replacing the fuel pump and screen.

She also had some other small issues. The interior panels, shot. Both tail lights, broke. Half of the headlight housings, missing lenses, or broke. Paint, old yellow that hasnt seen clear coat or wax in at least a decade. 4 keys. Yeah, 4. Ignition, different ones for each door, and a different one for the trunk. Luckily I live near three different drag strips, two of which are in different military towns. So there have been a few parts cars that I have come across from people buying a 2.3 and wanting to get rid of it for the over done 5.0. I managed to get both Tail lights for $60, the 2.3 t5 for $100, with the bell housing, MT cross member, and all the matching bolts. I was lucky enough to find a pedal assembly for a 2.3 at a local junk yard. So all I need right now is the Clutch kit, flywheel and the drive shaft.

Which brings me to my first question for everyone. Does anyone know where I can buy a drive shaft, or am i going to have to get one made?

My ultimate goal for my 88' is to have a clean sleeper 2.3T. Hopefully I can afford to do it in the near future, and from I've see so far, I can find and ask just about everything I'll need to know here.

I look forward to talking with anyone, and if anybody is in the area of SE North Carolina, feel free to hit me up. Thanks. (and sorry if i rambled a little, I have a knee issue and took a decent pain killer earlier )

And my pictures will follow when Im allowed to post them.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Welcome to MF
Old 10-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Keep it real
2nd Gear Member

Welcome