5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

gear drive and knock sensors

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 01:06 AM
corrupted69er

Default gear drive and knock sensors

I have an 88 stang LX that I put a 5.0 HO motor in and it runs fair. I would like to put pete jackson gear drive in but can't because of the knock sensor. I understand that the knock sensor would sense the wind and click of the gear drive and retard my timing. What I want to know is...Does anyone know how I can get by this?..money is no object if you can find me a way I would love to hear it...even minor suggestions may help. Thanks guys
Old 05-10-2003, 03:34 AM
1982gt

switch to a carb setup and unhook the knock sensor maybe???
Old 05-10-2003, 01:58 PM
corrupted69er

1982gt...thanks for the reply. I have thought of this many of times but I really like my EFI because its so smooth. I am really looking into an older 302 engine and build it into the 400-450HP range if I can't do what I want with the fuel injection.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:46 AM
mustangdave357
2nd Gear Member

I have a gear drive in my 1995 351 windsor thats in my '84. I dont know of any knock sensor and if there is one I havent had any problems with it. The gear drive turns a lot of heads but I will warn you to this. When I ordered mine I said give me the loudest one you make. It is loud, sounds like a bad power steering pump. Kind of annoying on long trips but I still love it.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:37 PM
converted
2nd Gear Member

If I am not mistaken, a knock sensor is just an alias for o2 sensor. If that is the case, the gear drive will not affect it. The sensor takes readings of the exhaust gasses, not noises.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Albrainya

Default RE: gear drive and knock sensors

ummm, the 5.0 in an 88 stang has no knock sensor
Old 01-16-2006, 11:44 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: converted

If I am not mistaken, a knock sensor is just an alias for o2 sensor. If that is the case, the gear drive will not affect it. The sensor takes readings of the exhaust gasses, not noises.
You are very very mistaken, an O2 sensor tells the computor what the air fuel ratio is (basicly) and a knock sensor is pretty much a tiny microphone that listens for sounds that could be detonation inside the combustion chamber. In any case the engine in question does not have a knock sensor. However I don't like gear drives, there is some speculation that they can transfer bad harmonics from the cam and crank. IMO gear drives are old technology and there are better choices out there, like a good double roller or a better yet a Jessel belt drive. No top engine builder uses a gear drive, I imagine that there is a good reason for this.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:11 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

No top engine builder uses a gear drive, I imagine that there is a good reason for this.
Many cars still use gear drive but they aren't driven on the street. Gear drive is mainly on track cars only because of how loud it is. My buddys 1980 trans am has it and when your driving in it gear drive gets annoying fast. Its a loud whining kind of like a supercharger but louder are more high pitched. I wouldn't recommend it if this is a car you drive on the street, my buddy regrets it every time he drives his car.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:16 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

No top engine builder uses a gear drive, I imagine that there is a good reason for this.
Many cars still use gear drive but they aren't driven on the street. Gear drive is mainly on track cars only because of how loud it is. My buddys 1980 trans am has it and when your driving in it gear drive gets annoying fast. Its a loud whining kind of like a supercharger but louder are more high pitched. I wouldn't recommend it if this is a car you drive on the street, my buddy regrets it every time he drives his car.
I am very well aware of what I am saying and I attend events at a number of national tracks. 90% of the "good" builders use a belt drive , fuel cars will sometimes use a gear drive due to the amount of power, but not all of them use them.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:37 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

I don't know if they're good or bad or what, but there is no knock sensor on your 88.

Quick Reply: gear drive and knock sensors