5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

EFI SWAP TO CARBURATOR, good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 06:39 AM
91MustangGt
1st Gear Member

Default EFI SWAP TO CARBURATOR, good or bad?

I was just wondering what you guys' thoughts were on swapping from electric fuel ignition to carburator.

I got a cold air intake with a 73 mm mass air meter, 65 mm throttle body, 24 pound injectors with a trick flow street intake manifold setup right now. I was wondering if switching to a good carburator setup( holley or demon) would work just as good- my main reason for the sweep is that I love the old school setup, I feel it looks alot cleaner and alot less complicated. But I've had alot of people tell me that carburator setups are alot harder to work with and they're not as efficient as electric fuel ignitions.

True or false? anyone?

A pro and con reply from an experienced person would help alot ( no offence or anything to those just giving their 2 cents, thats welcome as well)

Thanks guys!

Benjamin
Old 03-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Gregs68
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: EFI SWAP TO CARBURATOR, good or bad?

well, not a pro but this is just my 2 cents.

I also like the look of carbrated. I like how clean it is, and i like shiney air cleaners.. From what people tell me is fuel injection is more reliable and you get quicker rpm's out of them. From my experances with mustangs its not true. They are about the same IMO and have very little differance. you can tune-in a carb to were as soon as you hit the key it fires rigth up. I know a guy with a 86 notchback and a guy with a 83 hatch.. they both start up as soon as the key is turned.

Its really up to you and your preferance.

good luck
Old 03-03-2006, 02:29 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Well, you are going to hear lots of mixed opinions. They say with EFI you will get a little better throttle response and gas mileage, etc. BUT I also agree that carb's look better and they can be a b*tch to tune.

FYI: Electronic Fuel Injection
Old 03-03-2006, 03:17 PM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT
BUT I also agree that carb's look better and they can be a b*tch to tune.
i like the simpleness of the carb as well, of course, ive never had a car with fuel infection, so i dont know much about it. as far as tuning it goes, you can usually find a book for your particular carb, that will tell you everything you need to know about tuning it
Old 03-03-2006, 03:25 PM
4eyedfreak
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tokinGLX

i like the simpleness of the carb as well, of course, ive never had a car with fuel infection, so i dont know much about it. as far as tuning it goes, you can usually find a book for your particular carb, that will tell you everything you need to know about tuning it

dO YOU HAVE ANY PICS OF YOUR CAR?
Old 03-03-2006, 03:54 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tokinGLX

Thats what I need to do... I'm going to be building my first carb'd car and I dont know a damn thing about them. Guess its time to start learning huh Any good books that you would recommend?
Old 03-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Might want to check this "Carburetor Tuning the Scientific Way" article. GL
Old 03-03-2006, 05:24 PM
TAPOUT
2nd Gear Member

Personally, I think you will be much better off with fuel injection simply because the length of the intake runner is much longer(think tunnel ram). There is also a much more even fuel distribution pattern with an injector in each cylinder. Easier to tune with the computer.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:45 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

^^ Agree, if its anything its more reliable.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:16 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Some thoughts;
Carb IS NOT 'simple', there will be about 250+ parts in a Holley type 4 bbl carb.
Carb will out horsepower EFI but will not have the driveability.
HP books has very good books on both Holley and Barry Grant carbs. Holley also sells a service book. I've been working with Holley and B.G. types for 30+ years and still i use the Holley book.
Carbs are like women, when they are right the are real right and good, when wrong, the world is hell....

Quick Reply: EFI SWAP TO CARBURATOR, good or bad?