5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Maf question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:16 PM
ricepatrol
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Maf question

Only as much air as the Maf will allow, will get through. So the throttle body can't be sucking more air in than the maf can calibrate for, because the maf is the one doing the limitations. Right?
Your question was in theory, because you never stated that you switched to a stock Maf, so it was in theory without that information. But no matter.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:30 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

I did so, i said ( I have hesitation problems, and I lost top end after I PUT the stock maf on, in theory this is true because you are restricting the incoming air. but I can not figure out my low rpm hesitation?) there is no question in theroy. Anyway the motor is pulling the air through the MAF? so if the MAF is calibrating the air comming in than that would mean i have a lack of air/fuel? Because my motor needs more air/fuel than a stock motor, and the MAF is making the computer think it is stock?
Old 03-08-2006, 11:36 PM
ricepatrol
3rd Gear Member

As for the theory bs,
[8D]
whatever it was confusing enough for me and someone else, lol.

Back to business,

Yea the motor is pulling air through the Maf, and thus calibrating fuel for that amount of air. You are getting as much air as a stock motor, because of the bottlenecking, and you are probably losing air velocity with that bigger TB. So I'm guessing you're probably just as bad as stock if not a little worse. So your air/fuel should be fine, you just need to get rid of your bottleneck, which happens to double as a controller for fuel, so you'll bump both up, which should help everything I'm guessing.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:37 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

the guy in that link i posted was running like 400+hp on stock maf so i dont think the amount of air coming in is the question.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:41 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

Ok thanks for clearing up the maf thing ricepatrol. thats what i was thinking but i was not sure. And i don't see 400 hp on a stock maf because the 19's will not support 400 hp.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:41 PM
ricepatrol
3rd Gear Member

I skimmed the article and didn't see it, was that guy also running a stock TB? A smaller MAF than TB or intake tube will cause bottlenecking in any case. Having a bigger TB could cause the slower air velocity, potentially making the throttle response a little slower, but I feel like I'm reaching.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:44 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

the part where he said that about the 400 hp on stock maf is in that link. look down near the end
Old 03-08-2006, 11:45 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

tim, i would just wait untill you put on the 73mm and see what it does, before you look
too much into it, you've got a good size tb, and those holley intakes have huge runners
a stock maf just cant keep up w/ that, and thats probably where the
hesitation is coming from
Old 03-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

yea i love my holley like you said the runners are HUGE, do you think heads would help get rid of my hesitation? because of the increased power? yea i will get the 73 and see what happens
Old 03-09-2006, 12:24 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ricepatrol
Yea the motor is pulling air through the Maf, and thus calibrating fuel for that amount of air. You are getting as much air as a stock motor, because of the bottlenecking, and you are probably losing air velocity with that bigger TB. So I'm guessing you're probably just as bad as stock if not a little worse. So your air/fuel should be fine, you just need to get rid of your bottleneck, which happens to double as a controller for fuel, so you'll bump both up, which should help everything I'm guessing.
^^^^sounds about right......

As for 400hp w/ the stock MAF, re-read that part:
Well, I have gotten 400+ HP using the stock MAF, but that took a significant amount of time and effort calibrating the EEC with some special tools I developed.

So unless you know his secret sauce and have his mad skills w/ a MAF, it looks like a larger MAF is in order. I'd go w/ 75-76mm.

Quick Reply: Maf question