5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

painted my car last night!....updated

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 06:16 PM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: painted my car last night!

damn links [:@] here is the correct one:

Trinity 1945 inc.

lets see if this one works
Old 03-25-2006, 06:53 PM
ben5.0
3rd Gear Member

looks nice.. since you are a painter, i have some questions for you about wet sanding..
i need to wetsand my car due to minor orange peel and defects in the clear.
can you give me a step by step outline of the process. what i need?
thanks
Old 03-25-2006, 07:10 PM
g2_5point0
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88blackCONvert

Trinity 1945 inc.

I was looking at the link and asked old man about the paint, since he's done a couple of paintjobs a while back. Lacquer is the way to go. He says that Enamel would be like maaco's cheap stage 1 paint job, which imo, isn't too great.

79.99 1 gal Clearcoat lacquer + 79.99 1 gal (Color here) lacquer. Not too bad, i think

edit : I am currently wet sanding my car. 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a bucket of water. It seems to be doing the job
Old 03-25-2006, 07:15 PM
ben5.0
3rd Gear Member

dont you think 400 grit is too much?
i was think more along the line of 600, for a final finish

also, do you have to whipe the car with solvant before sanding?
Old 03-25-2006, 07:20 PM
g2_5point0
2nd Gear Member

Ah, im not sure. im not nearly finished, im just in the bondo/primer stage
Old 03-25-2006, 07:21 PM
91stang
4th Gear Member

so when do you wanna do mine?
Old 03-25-2006, 07:30 PM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: g2_5point0
I was looking at the link and asked old man about the paint, since he's done a couple of paintjobs a while back. Lacquer is the way to go. He says that Enamel would be like maaco's cheap stage 1 paint job, which imo, isn't too great.
I painted my first ride (87 nissan hardbody P/U when i was 16) with enamel, and i was pretty happy with the end result, and i recently had my 93 grand am GT painted at maaco which came out sweet (integrated clear paint).

I've seen lacquer jobs, and they doooo look awesome, but i havent painted a vehicle in like 9 years so i don't wanna splurge for the lacquer and screw something up and not be happy. The clear is coming off my car now is the reason im going to paint it. It was originally enamel paint with clear, and looked good when i got it, so this is why im leaning toward the enamel.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:52 PM
g2_5point0
2nd Gear Member

I painted my first ride (87 nissan hardbody P/U when i was 16) with enamel, and i was pretty happy with the end result, and i recently had my 93 grand am GT painted at maaco which came out sweet (integrated clear paint).

I've seen lacquer jobs, and they doooo look awesome, but i havent painted a vehicle in like 9 years so i don't wanna splurge for the lacquer and screw something up and not be happy. The clear is coming off my car now is the reason im going to paint it. It was originally enamel paint with clear, and looked good when i got it, so this is why im leaning toward the enamel.
The reason its chipping is because its enamel paint =p My 96 v6 had an enamel job and started chipping off completely, so the hell with it! I rather go full out and have it last [8D]
Old 03-25-2006, 08:54 PM
smkshw
2nd Gear Member

must of been a while,laquer is old scool,its manly used for show cars because laquer polishes up realy nice,but it dosn't hold up well at all,unless your planning on keeping your car in doors and at car shows,dont use laquer..

Trinity 1945 inc.

79.99 1 gal Clearcoat lacquer + 79.99 1 gal (Color here) lacquer. Not too bad, i think

edit : I am currently wet sanding my car. 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a bucket of water. It seems to be doing the job
Old 03-25-2006, 09:01 PM
smkshw
2nd Gear Member

wash your car,get a CLEAN bucket of water,use 2000 grit to wet sand,I'd do one panel at a time,and you'll need a good polisher,no wallmart stuff,I use a wool pad,for the cutting,and a foam for glazing....DO NOT USE 400 GRIT TO GET RIDE OF ORANGE PEEL...try it on one pannel see how you make out,main thing is,make sure your paper is clean,its a lot of work!but it looks good in the end..
ORIGINAL: ben5.0

looks nice.. since you are a painter, i have some questions for you about wet sanding..
i need to wetsand my car due to minor orange peel and defects in the clear.
can you give me a step by step outline of the process. what i need?
thanks

Quick Reply: painted my car last night!....updated