5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New Exhaust is On!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 09:50 PM
blk95snake
1st Gear Member

Default New Exhaust is On!!!

I took my car down to a local performance shop to have flowmasters installed and cut outs installed after the flowmasters. The guy at the shop told me he could put on the o/r h I was going to install myself for about 30 extra bucks so I said what the heck. It turns out he couldn't fit the cut outs after the flowmasters so he welded them in about half way down the o/r h-pipe. At first I wasn't too happy because it isn't exactly what I wanted, but I started the car up and it sounds great! And that's with the caps to the cut offs still on. I haven't taken off the caps yet because it's rainnig here. I had another thread going about 2.25 vs 2.5 exhaust and just to clear up a few differences some people were having there I asked the owner of the shop a few questions. It turns out that going from a 2.5" h-pipe to a 2.25" catback will NOT restrict the flow. He said if it did in any way, it's not worth worrying about it because it's so insignificant. And just like a few of you said there was no problem connecting the 2.5 pipe to the 2.25 as long as the flanges are still there.

I haven't been able to get on it too much because of the rain, but I can tell there's a hp difference. As soon as the weather clears up I'll get a sound clip of the exhaust with caps on and off. I can't can't to hear it!
Old 03-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New Exhaust is On!!!

why did you have cut outs put on? it will run better with mufflers than with out them
Old 03-20-2006, 10:03 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

whats a cut-off? does he mean turn-down?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:13 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

No it opens the exhaust and I thought they were supposed to be put in front of the mufflers. What does putting them on after the mufflers gain? They are supposed to be put in in front of the mufflers. Open exhaust, that's the porpose of them!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 01:35 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

^^yep
Old 03-21-2006, 01:45 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

You'll gain horsepower in the high rpms with the caps of the cutoffs off, but you will lose a significant amount of low end torque. I'm sure that it does sound great. Even though that there may not be a significant amount of difference with a 2.5" catback, I'm probably still going to get one just for the extra bit of sound, performance and so that there is no exhaust leak between my catback and midpipe, even though it's not leaking right now.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:43 AM
blk95snake
1st Gear Member

I wanted to put dumps on it, but I didn't want to have to weld in pipes extending to the rear of the car everytime I needed to pass inspection. So I asked the guy if the cut-outs would fit behind the mufflers so I could have dumps and just cap them up when I needed to pass inspection. I guess he didn't understand what I was saying. I'm afraid when I take the caps off the car will be really loud and more anoying than anything. I'm debating whether or not I want to have it fixed to the way I wanted it or to leave it. I want to have dumps behind the mufflers and to take out the cut-outs to save weight. Like I said though, I'm going to drive it around with the caps off once the rain stops to see what I think. Most likely I'm going with the dumps.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:45 AM
blk95snake
1st Gear Member

The flanges are the exact same size from the mid-pipe to the catback so you don't have to worry about leaking, but if you have the extra cash to get the cat back then I would too.
ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

You'll gain horsepower in the high rpms with the caps of the cutoffs off, but you will lose a significant amount of low end torque. I'm sure that it does sound great. Even though that there may not be a significant amount of difference with a 2.5" catback, I'm probably still going to get one just for the extra bit of sound, performance and so that there is no exhaust leak between my catback and midpipe, even though it's not leaking right now.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:47 AM
blk95snake
1st Gear Member

A cut out is a piece that welds into the h-pipe and has a section of pipethat sort of dumps off to the side of the pipe. You can cap the opening there so the exhaust runs to the back of the car or un-cap it so it dumps out right there. Turn downs go behind the muffler, which is what I wanted.
ORIGINAL: lookinforastang

whats a cut-off? does he mean turn-down?
Old 03-21-2006, 10:53 AM
micfly83

Cutouts were described to me as "the world being torn apart in the sexiest manner possible"

I'm definitely gettin some...

Quick Reply: New Exhaust is On!!!