5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

CONverting the vert...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 12:19 AM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

Default CONverting the vert...

So i started my conversion from EFI to carb today, and all was going well till the bolt broke beside the water inlet. A little PB blaster and some downtime, and i got it out with vice grips
New dizzy, and holley blue should be in tomorrow, so i can finish my fuel lines and hopefully crank it up!
And before yall start beatin me up with -why-, im po and can't afford to buy all the injectors, intake, CAI, TB, MAF, and whatever 2-3 letter parts i need to build the power i want. Here's what i started with, and where i am now. I have the valve covers to match the air cleaner, but im gonna wait on those until i get cash to build the bottom.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32278/1BFFD4174F27470880AE1A3EFCE5D96A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32278/A1907463DC424AAEA12FC73CC5E9B42D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32278/8953B83FFDD64266A93D014958F76CC4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-28-2006, 12:21 AM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: CONverting the vert...

Oh yeah, i started to take everything apart, then figured id take some pics and slap em up here so i threw the stuff back togather.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:24 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Well it's looks good, I've heard that there is much to gain off of a carb and intake swap. GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 03-28-2006, 12:34 AM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

Thanx, it'll look better when i finish. Im gonna clean some more wiring up and have a polished dizzy coming. Im gonna throw some braids on the hoses to tidy things up a bit more. Im gonna get some windsor jr. heads for it when i get some more pennies saved up.

Im still undecided on the cam to go with. It's still roller, so anyone have some suggestions for what i got? long tubes and h-pipe also going on this thing to free up the exhaust for later upgrades.

Hopefully i can get a nice bit towards the heads from ebay when i sell all the fuel injection goodies i pulled off.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:37 AM
89GTRed
5th Gear Member

hey looks GREAT man! Jusst wondering but is that gonna fit onder your hood or are you gonna get a diff one? cant wait to see it when its done, looks good now tho!
Old 03-28-2006, 12:49 AM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

Yeah. im gonna have to get a hood scoop for now so i can fit it under with that tall filter. If i use a small filter it's still about 1/2 or less from closing the hood right. So i've decided to get a scoop off an older mustang like the one on your car and do a little sawing. When i get all the mechanical stuff finished i plan on saving for a mach 1, but the scoop will do for now. Im gonna paint the block and accessories to match when i do the bottom, and clean up some of the swiss cheese ford did when the put all those holes under the hood.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:27 AM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

looks great. i, for one, am a big fan of carbd cars. with the proper tune, they are no less streetabel than efi. what heads do you have¿ looks like you have a 600 cfm edel...¿ if so, and if you are staying with the stock heads, you would probably see better gains with a 500cfm. but the better flowing head you have, the better it handles the higher flow carb. i would also suggest a hood focused more on heat extraction than a ram air type. with the open air cleaner like yours, it sucks in a lot of heat from the headers right below it. this is where the stock 83 type dual snorkel worked very well, as it sucked in cool air from the fenderwells. but its big and inconvienient, i suggest just cutting a hole and throwing a rear facing scoop on. good luck on getting it running
Old 03-28-2006, 02:39 AM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Cool. Looks nice.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:16 PM
tinner7
2nd Gear Member

always cool to see a fellow carbed stang, looks good man
Old 03-30-2006, 10:25 PM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

Finally got to hit the key today, and the only problem i had was a slight fuel leak at my fuel pressure gauge, and i forgot to torque down the battery cable, which didnt give proper spark to my msd to fire. A couple turns on the hose clamp, and a couple twists with the 1/2" wrench and she hit on the first shot!!!! Even with putting the new dizzy in, i dropped it in right on on the first try, and the carb was SUPER close to being tuned from the factory! only a slight adjustment was necessary, and she was growling like a rabid rott-wiler!!

The throttle response is wicked compaired to my old setup, and i saved some weight from the old EFI intake stuff, so thats a plus (the old stuff weighs a TON). Now i gotta fix my torque boxes on the rear due to some tearing of the factory sheet metal (old problem) before i can open it up.

I still gotta take some of the old stuff out from under the hood (ie. A/C compressor, smog pump junk) and clean up the wires a bit, but it looks ALOT roomier without the EFI.

I'll get some pic's up tomorrow, since it's dark outside, but i need the delete kit for both the items i mentioned before i can dispose of them, so it still looks a bit rough.

PS: ALL my gauges work still including my low oil light (took a minute to find the right wire for my fuel pump relay since chiltons put 2 of the same page in my book, and not the one i needed for my car. Most of it matched up to the 87 model though.

Quick Reply: CONverting the vert...