5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

got a nasty oil leak....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 06:04 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

Default got a nasty oil leak....

I have had an oil leak for a while now, just a few drops every now and again. it started right after my last oil change so i figured that little gasket/washer on the oil drain plug had gone bad.

i was gonna wait till my next oil change to fix it (in about 500 miles) but the oil leak has been getting progressively worse.

i noticed today that whenever i rev the motor above idle oil pretty much just drips constantly. my oil pressure also jumps from about 25-50+ when revved so i'm thinking the leak must come from a pressurized gasket.

my question is: what places on the engine are pressurized by oil? so far i've come up with that little fitting for the oil pressure gauge and maybe the rear main seal.

any help is appreciated as i can barely drive it anymore it is leaking so bad.[&o] (daily driver too)

thanks.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: got a nasty oil leak....

ORIGINAL: fordguy17

I have had an oil leak for a while now, just a few drops every now and again. it started right after my last oil change so i figured that little gasket/washer on the oil drain plug had gone bad.

i was gonna wait till my next oil change to fix it (in about 500 miles) but the oil leak has been getting progressively worse.

i noticed today that whenever i rev the motor above idle oil pretty much just drips constantly. my oil pressure also jumps from about 25-50+ when revved so i'm thinking the leak must come from a pressurized gasket.

my question is: what places on the engine are pressurized by oil? so far i've come up with that little fitting for the oil pressure gauge and maybe the rear main seal.

any help is appreciated as i can barely drive it anymore it is leaking so bad.[&o] (daily driver too)

thanks.
Umm...ALL of your oil beyond the oil pan has some sort of pressure behind it. If you have oil pressure that is jumping, I dont' think a gasket could cause that. Oil pressure changes are a given (rev the engine, it spins the oil pump faster and increases your oil pressure while the RPM's are up)

As for the leak.. where does it look like it's coming from? Front or rear of the engine? Top or Bottom??
Old 03-28-2006, 06:22 PM
mrmtri3
2nd Gear Member

My stock oil pressure guage moves around as well. There have been sveral posts lately about the oil guage movement.

As far as the leak it could be several things.

Dripping constantly I would try to find where it's coming from. Clean up underneath as well as you can and check the following:

Oil pan gasket.
The pan itself (no kidding, mine was started to rust and oil was very slowly seeping through)
Rear main (this is a common problem area)
Pressure sending unit (this is a common problem area)

Old 03-28-2006, 06:27 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Put a cardboard box under it and than lift the box straight up and you can pinpoint exactally where its comming from.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:29 PM
ttoppedaerocoupe
2nd Gear Member

I have a couple friends who's oil sending units started to leak at about 120-140k, how many miles you got?

alex
Old 03-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

If it's in the front it may be the seal on the timing cover that goes over the crank.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:03 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

i agree..intake will do it too..puddled right on the timing cover valley...
ORIGINAL: Grimace5.0

If it's in the front it may be the seal on the timing cover that goes over the crank.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:39 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

thanks everyone. i found the leak pretty quick. it was coming from the oil pressure sender.

the nut/compression washer that hold on the copper line for the gauge had come loose. 5 minutes with a wrench fixed it.

good info for future reference though. thanks.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:45 PM
89GTRed
5th Gear Member

wow good to hear! glad it worked out so easily 4 ya.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:56 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89GTRed

wow good to hear! glad it worked out so easily 4 ya.

me too. i just feel dumb about waiting 2500 hundred miles to fix it, when it was so easy...
(and 4 quarts of oil)

Quick Reply: got a nasty oil leak....