5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

carb to fuel injection

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 06:29 PM
superfreak
1st Gear Member

Default carb to fuel injection

basicly heres the scoop im 17, i only make like 600ish every 2 weeks so i cant afford a 02-04 cobra etc... ive always liked the 80s-93 fox bodies.... my buddie's friend has a 84 gt, bad thing is... he said it had a 350 in it and i said 350's didnt come in those ( that i kno of ) i said its prolly 351, and its a carb... i would like to make this into fuel injection like the l8r 5.0's is this hard to do and what all would i need

also, they only want 2k, for it said the engine only has 3k miles on it. its clean , interior is ok besides neeeds a dash, and the body just got painted and is rock solid... is it worth getting with the carb, or should i keep saving and wait to find a l8r 302 fuel injected 5.0?

thanks guys
Old 03-28-2006, 06:30 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: carb to fuel injection

Im kind of confused...

What motor does the car have in it? A 302? 350? 351W? 351C?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:12 PM
superfreak
1st Gear Member

thats the thing i duno he told me it had a 350 in it carburated, i said 350 is chevy i thought so i asked maybe it has a 351? he said he didnt kno, point is with gas prices i dont want a carb, i want a fuel ijected.. so should i buy the car since its only 2k, and figure out a way to fuel inject it or save for a newer 302 fuel injected fox bodie
Old 03-28-2006, 07:51 PM
superfreak
1st Gear Member

ok i just got off the phone with the original owner who did al the work to the car, it is in 84 i guess he changed the body because it looks like a l8r foxbody like the 90-93, it does have a 302 in it.. but it is carburated i asked him what all i would need to convert it back to fuel injected he said he didnt kno his dad did the work to the engine he just did the body work but his dad passed away ... he isnt really a mechanic he just does body work...

my question to u all is since its an 84 does it still have the wiring harness and ecu i would need to convert it back to efi... all i would need is upper intake manifold, fuel rail, injectors right?
Old 03-28-2006, 08:03 PM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

in 84 it came carbureted. i would suggest buying it and keeping it the way it is. if it has been tuned properly, then you will notice little difference between a carb and efi as far as street driving
Old 03-28-2006, 08:29 PM
superfreak
1st Gear Member

lol thats not the thing though man, i cant afford to have a daily driven carb car... i want fuel injected.. i want to procharge it and etc and a carb would be a hassle ... id have to fill the tank to drive 20 mins to the city and 20 bucks to fill it on the way back everyday... i just wanna kno if i can convert it over to fuel injected if so how, or do i need to do a l8r 302 engine swap and ifi do that is it a direct drop in and work with the stock manual tranny or what
Old 03-28-2006, 08:38 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tokinGLX

in 84 it came carbureted. i would suggest buying it and keeping it the way it is. if it has been tuned properly, then you will notice little difference between a carb and efi as far as street driving

i agree and if your gonna pro charge it and all that wonderful stuff then it wont be a very friendly daily driver, and with the income you said your bringing in, just leave it stock or just go and find a already fuel injected car. demon makes a carb that is tuned for supercharging or you could just put a roots style blower on it. To do efi you need to run a return gas line, fuel pump, sending unit, ecu, wires, intakes, fuel pump blockoff plate for your timing cover and probly alot of other things that i forgot.. so either keep it carb or find another car
Old 03-28-2006, 09:01 PM
superfreak
1st Gear Member

eek i really dont wanna pss this up for only 2k car is gorgeous and runs good i just hate it bein carb, what about dropping in a newer 302... i mean i can find a harness and ecu in junkyard or ebay np.... the return and fuel lines from the tank are already their i can replace and move if needed i ahve a shop and everything... and say i did keep it carb id like around a 400=500hp daily driver without nos

this is a project car i plan to work on over summer so i have time

so i duno what to do get this or wait till i find a better deal on a fuel injected fox bodie
Old 03-28-2006, 09:16 PM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

i dont know where you are getting your "carbs are the worst things in the world" logic from, but you are just plain wrong. when you are driving for those 20 minutes to the city do you have it floored the whole way¿ i get 150-175 miles per tank of city driving. highway its around 300¿ if you want fuel economy, then you want a 4 cylinder.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:49 PM
superfreak
1st Gear Member

im just goin by what the guy told me the car was like

but i my buddie works for factory that supply's kennel bell superchargers and can get prochargers cheep... and i heard supercharging the carbs is a pain in the *** but like i said i dont kno ive always wanted a fox bodie and i just figured this was a good deal

Quick Reply: carb to fuel injection