5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

347 problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 01:54 PM
jw

Default 347 problems

Guys,

Having problems setting up my new 347, the thing just wont idle at all. The guys who installed it say that I need to reprogram the computer - I dont think is right. The spec is -

347 Stroker
Dart Pro 1 heads
Custom camshaft (not sure of the lift/duration)
Edelbock Performer RPM II intake
70mm BBK throttle body
30lb injectors with matched 78mm MAF
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Long tube headers with magnaflow exhaust
(Engine was dynoed at 415hp)

With this set up, do I need to reprogram the computer?? I would have thought that the stock A9L would at least been able to make it run smoothly. Any ideas??

Thanks..
Old 03-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 347 problems

It would for sure help. But check all the sensors TPS IAC and MAF, do a search on here for clocking the MAF it should help you also. If all else fails send the block my way
Old 03-29-2006, 04:19 PM
jw

All the sensors are new so they should be ok, it seems to be running very rich for some reason.

- The way I feel about the thing at the moment you can have the block!! -- but you'll have to come and get it and im in Grand Cayman
Old 03-29-2006, 04:20 PM
TAPOUT
2nd Gear Member

You need a new MAF that is calibrated for 30# injectors. I am having the same problems as you. I am taking my car to Excessive Motorsports in Manassas, VA next week to have it tuned on their dyno. I can drive down the road with no problems, but it wants to stall everytime I come to a stop at a light, or just push in the clutch to coast behind someone going slow. I am fine when it is in gear and under a load. It has no problem waking up as soon as you hit the gas, but it sure won't idle. I also have the big problem that the guy who owned my car before cut the oxygen sensors off the car. I am getting ready to put them back on before I take it to get tuned. The computer cannot compensate for the MAF not being calibrated for the bigger injectors. The computer must be reprogrammed. Did you tune your adjustable FPR? Upgrade the fuel pump? Is it getting the right vacuum?
Old 03-29-2006, 04:26 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Dude, I am in NJ. I will leave work now and come pick it up if you are serious
Old 03-29-2006, 04:26 PM
jw

Tapout,

The MAF is calibrated for 30#injectors (see spec on my first post) and I have adjustable FPR, which is set really low at the moment just to get it to run. The fuel pump is an uprated 190lph.

So, even with the matched MAF, I still need to get the computer reprogrammed to get it to run??
Old 03-29-2006, 04:28 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

No, but it definitly wouldnt hurt. Take it to a good mechanic that you know... have them figure out whats going on w/ it...than take it to a tuner and have it tweeked...
Old 03-29-2006, 04:39 PM
TAPOUT
2nd Gear Member

I didn't see the matched MAF. Sounds like you are screwed...J/K. I would definitely take it to a shop that specializes in Mustangs, or at least call around to the performance shops in your area to find someone that is familiar. If all sensors are new, and everything is right, then it may be something with timing, did you have someone set up the distributor? I have been told that the tune is needed after any major upgrade, and that is probably the case. Call Excessive Motorsports, see if you can talk to a tech 703-331-1422.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:48 PM
jw

Ok, thanks guys, at least I know it should run better than it does with the stock computer. Its set up with the stock distributor at the moment as the on ethey sent with the motor was for carb set up - this could be the problem.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:53 PM
jw

Well found out one of the problems, the BBK adjustable fuel regulator was pushing out 80 psi at minimum setting! Put back the stock Ford and it idles better, still running rich though, I think it is the computer as when you unplug the MAF the engine idles smoothly - must be compensating too much and giving it too much gas??

Quick Reply: 347 problems