5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

how do you tell if your msd box went bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 08:03 AM
Melon
2nd Gear Member

Default how do you tell if your msd box went bad?

can any one tell me how i can tell if my box went bad it's a 6al i think it took a ****. just beacuse it lost spark it's not getting power to the coil now from the box.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:48 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

Default RE: how do you tell if your msd box went bad?

where you have it mounted? the msd boxes have a thermal switch in them so when they get hot they stop working
Old 03-31-2006, 10:57 AM
meiguoren33
2nd Gear Member

I assume you already made sure you have 12V key on and cranking and a good ground to the MSD. MSD's can draw a lot of current and pop a fuse. You are hearing your fuel pump kick on when you turn the key on right? Otherwise, if it's not the fuse your EEC relay might be bad.The MSD puts out about 600 volts to the coil. If you have a meter that can measure that can handle that high of a voltage, see if your getting any voltage to the coil while cranking. If you have all that, you should have a pulse reference off your old ignition module feeding into the MSD. Otherwise, bypass the MSD and see if she fires off your old ignition module.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:08 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stanglx2002

where you have it mounted? the msd boxes have a thermal switch in them so when they get hot they stop working
Good thing to know...
Mine is under the hood on inner fender, and heat doesnt seem to be a problem... yet...
Old 03-31-2006, 11:54 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

^^ Yea, YET was the key word in that sentence
Old 03-31-2006, 12:14 PM
meiguoren33
2nd Gear Member

MSD's are pretty good. Alot of people I know use them for their tow vehicles which have brutal under hood temps. Last one I got was from a guy that had it in his truck for a week. It broke down on vacation while he was towing. After the mechanic pulled off the MSD and hooked up the old system it still did'nt run. Turns out it was the fuse for the igntion feed, ouch! I got the MSD6, in dash timing adjuster, and coil for $75 and ran it on my daily driver for years, no problems.

Moral of the story, while yer waiting for yer box to cool down, check the fuse.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Melon
2nd Gear Member

i have it in the cab so heat is not a problem i allready checked for voltage at the coil i have it hooked it to an msd probillet disb, and a blaster ss coil i checked all of the wires. i have no clue i just don't want to go waste the money on anthore box and find out it was something else if it did go bad. i'm about to pull it all out and put the stock igntion system back in tonight to see if it works.

oh and i almost forgot its on a 351 that's carbed and it has been fine for 800miles like this now it happend
Old 03-31-2006, 02:11 PM
meiguoren33
2nd Gear Member

So you are triggering off the distributor? Is there a signal coming off the dizzy into the MSD box? And you do have 12volts into the MSD box right?
Old 03-31-2006, 03:19 PM
Melon
2nd Gear Member

yep it's triggering the dizzy to the box and i have the box wried right to the battery i even took the asscorie wire or igniton wire for the key steright to the batter as well. the only other thing that i'm thinking is maybe my car alamarn messed up but i don't know.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:58 PM
meiguoren33
2nd Gear Member

If you are getting 12Vto the MSD box, the alarm should not mess with it, unless it shorts the negative of the coil to ground to disable the vehicle. Are you sure youre getting a signal from the distributor? A sinewave or square wave? You should see some voltage off the distributor only when you crank it.

Quick Reply: how do you tell if your msd box went bad?