5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Power shifting question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 03:49 AM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Power shifting question

I shift around 5800 rpm, full throttle, push the clutch close to the floor and side step it, all as quickly as i can. (meaning u left ur foot slide off the left side of the pedal) its not the best thing for your clutch tho
Old 04-01-2006, 04:04 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

just keep it wide open,when the rpm reaches your PREDERTERMINED shift point, push the clutch in pull or push the shifter in the next gear as fast as you can. practice some at half throttle. it will get to where you can do this almost in the blink of an eye. forget about chirping the tires. the faster you can change the LESS the chirping will be . good luck.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:15 AM
bgdsub72
1st Gear Member

when i drive semis I only use the clutch to start and stop. other than that i never use it. When I drive cars i use the clutch most of the time unless i am familiar with the car and I will speed shift it and float each gear.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:21 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

this is a cool thread..lol. you want to keep the rpms up between shifts. use just as much clutch as to need to hit it smooth. keep the gas down almost full as not to be redlining it when you shift. practice quickly doing all this as quick as you can. i would recommend slipping your foot off the pedal like was said above. thats torture on your everything...noy just the clutch.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:35 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

if you are red lining you need to shift earlier or faster DON'T let off the gas . you want to keep your engine in its best power range.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:38 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: XPBaller

I shift around 5800 rpm, full throttle, push the clutch close to the floor and side step it, all as quickly as i can. (meaning u left ur foot slide off the left side of the pedal) its not the best thing for your clutch tho
Now this guy knows how to shift. Except I don't push it near the floor, I use about 1/4 clutch and then just slam it into the next gear.. Gotta punish the car if you expect to win. Never let off the throttle of course.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:29 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

^^Thats what I am takin' about, half clutchin. Keep em comming, very informative!!
Old 04-01-2006, 11:30 AM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

I guess im the only one who traditionally shifts.

Off the throttle, clutch to the floor

When my tires were newer, and would leave tires marks, i could grab second gear so fast that it would leave only a 3/4" gap between the tire marks where i shifted.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

^^ i can do that to lol. if you can shift it so fast that you are not using half clutch or whatever you want to call it, thats shifting good, if you dont let the clutch out all the way thats not putting the power to the ground, that slipping the crap out of it.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:46 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I'm not leaving the clutch half in all the time, I only push it half way then shift, no slipping. I guess it would be faster than pushing it all the way down. Really, If you guys think about it, pushing the clutch in is to only take the load off or to slow the tranny enough to shift, if you run your gear all the way out to like 5500, how much is it really slowing considering how fast everybody shifts. How about just letting off the gas, no clutch then shift. I talked to freinds of mine, they have done it like that before. I guess that is what syncos are for. Maybe...

Quick Reply: Power shifting question