5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Trans removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 11:44 PM
redmustang83596
4th Gear Member

Default Trans removal

I have two questions. I get my procedures for doing work off of Alldata, dont know if youve heard of it, but its a good system. The problem is that when it comes to older cars, the procedure is kind of vague. One of the steps is:
Lower Transmission to gain access to two shift lever attaching bolts.
The problem is that when I lower the transmission, I can't get to the bolts. Is there another way to get to the bolts so I can remove the shift lever?

The other step that I am having trouble with is:
Remove flywheel to transmission attaching bolts.
I got 4 of these bolts out and it wont budge, are there more bolts at the top of the trans?

Also any advice as far as removing the transmission from the engine? Do you just lift it up and try to pull it out or what?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:14 AM
redmustang83596
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Trans removal

No one has any info? Anything at all?
Old 04-01-2006, 12:34 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

ok...when you say shift lever...are you referring to the shifter?

the shift lever is internal , and requires removal of trans, and disassembly of the tailshaft from the case.

but the yes only 4 bolts for flywheel to tranny bolts.
the problem you are probably having is the 2 pins.

just hit it w/ a mallet , keep prying and trying.

you will see some movement eventually.

Old 04-01-2006, 04:15 AM
redmustang83596
4th Gear Member

I think its referring to the shifter. I have taken it out before but last time I had to rip apart the boot to get at the bolts. If I dont remove the shifter, I'm going to break it taking the trans out, at least i think so...
Old 04-01-2006, 04:23 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Auto or 5-speed?

First off, what do you mean "flywheel to trans bolts" Are you talking flywheel to torque converter or trans to engine block? if it's trans to engine block there's 2 at the top.

If it's a 5 speed, lower it and just use a wrench, the wrench bent downwards for the shfter.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:38 AM
redmustang83596
4th Gear Member

Its a 5-speed. And by flywheel-to-transmission bolts, I mean exactly, word for word, what the procedure said. That is why I posted this up to see if anyone knew wtf it was talking about. I was on another forum and they were telling me to remove the console to get to the shifter lever. And also another question; since I am using the same clutch and all that good stuff, should i just unbolt the tranny from the bellhousing and just leave the bellhousing attached?
Old 04-01-2006, 04:42 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redmustang83596

Its a 5-speed. And by flywheel-to-transmission bolts, I mean exactly, word for word, what the procedure said. That is why I posted this up to see if anyone knew wtf it was talking about. I was on another forum and they were telling me to remove the console to get to the shifter lever. And also another question; since I am using the same clutch and all that good stuff, should i just unbolt the tranny from the bellhousing and just leave the bellhousing attached?
Yah, just unbolt it from the housing, only 4 bolts. There is no such thing as flywheel to transmission bolts on any tranny, that's why I asked. There's flywheel to torque convertor (Auto) and flywheel to clutch (standard) and that's all that EVER bolts to the flywheel.

You don't have to remove the console, just use a wrench to get at the shifter bolts, use the shortest wrench you have and use the box end and use with the bend downwards, easy peasy.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:51 AM
redmustang83596
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Liquid_02

Yah, just unbolt it from the housing, only 4 bolts. There is no such thing as flywheel to transmission bolts on any tranny, that's why I asked. There's flywheel to torque convertor (Auto) and flywheel to clutch (standard) and that's all that EVER bolts to the flywheel.

You don't have to remove the console, just use a wrench to get at the shifter bolts, use the shortest wrench you have and use the box end and use with the bend downwards, easy peasy.
Im sorry but i have no idea what you mean by this. How would I get at the bolts? They are under the shifter boot, and the only way I can think of to get at them is to get the boot off, like pull the bezel out and then slide the boot off and remove the bolts.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:52 AM
redmustang83596
4th Gear Member

Im sorry but I have no idea what you mean by this. There are two bolts and they are underneath the shifter boot. I would have to pull up the bezel and then get the boot off somehow.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:54 AM
redmustang83596
4th Gear Member

What do you mean?

Quick Reply: Trans removal