5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

throttle body/cold air kit combo

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 04:30 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

Default throttle body/cold air kit combo

I just got a '95 GT yesterday, and the engine is all stock. I was wondering if anybody can recommend a good throttle body/cold air intake combo, something that will give me the maximum amount of horsepower for the money. I was thinking a 70mm throttle body, is this too big for a stock motor? Should I go with a 65mm instead? Also, what is the best cold air system out there? i was looking at k&n's system, but that only has the filter and adapter, its not the entire system. I'm looking for something that covers the throttle body to the filter, with everything included in one kit, that puts out as much or more HP than the k&n system (around 12-13). Any suggestions?
Old 04-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: throttle body/cold air kit combo

Bang for the buck doesnt go to the intake and throttle body it goes to the gears in your rear diff. If you have an automatic then look into some 4.10 or if you have stick shift you can look into 3.73. After that if you decided to do the cold air intake and throttle body I would reccomend you get the C&L trueflow inlet and 76mm MAF. Without the MAF your throttle body wont be working to its full potential. The C&L kit wrun for about 206 on ebay and you would just take the chip off of your MAF and put it on there MAF body. Also look into FULL exhaust, headers, X or H pipe with or without cats and a catback of your choice. Some good sites for parts are www.ebay.com www.summitracing.com www. mustangtuning.com www.jegs.com and the sponsors on this site.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Also if you decide to do the gears you should look into some good upper and lower control arms, which can be found onebay for pretty cheap, cause you will have some major traction issues.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:51 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the tips. I had already planned on doing the rearend and exhaust, but thanks for the tips on those as well. For the exhaust, I think i'm going to go with bbk shorty headers, H pipe, and flowmaster 40 series. I have a 5 speed, but i'm not sure what reareand i'm going to go with yet. But right now i'm going to do just the cold air kit and throttle body because i can do it fast, i can do it myself, and its relatively cheap. I'll check out the stuff that you listed.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:57 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: chath_brick

Thanks for the tips. I had already planned on doing the rearend and exhaust, but thanks for the tips on those as well. For the exhaust, I think i'm going to go with bbk shorty headers, H pipe, and flowmaster 40 series. I have a 5 speed, but i'm not sure what reareand i'm going to go with yet. But right now i'm going to do just the cold air kit and throttle body because i can do it fast, i can do it myself, and its relatively cheap. I'll check out the stuff that you listed.

flowmasters sound like dirty *******
Old 04-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

40's sound good
Old 04-03-2006, 01:02 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: chath_brick

flowmasters sound like dirty *******

Enlighten me, what does a dirty ******* sound like?

I got dual chamber flows, older versions, and o/r h with 3-1/2" tips and sounds good
Old 04-03-2006, 01:41 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: 86HOGT
Enlighten me, what does a dirty ******* sound like?

I got dual chamber flows, older versions, and o/r h with 3-1/2" tips and sounds good

Have you ever noticed how hondas ALWAYS have the same exhaust sound.... Do you REALLY wanna be known as "Just another Mustang owner"

MOST of you have flowmasters and I personally think they sound like trash.

I saw a really good saying somewhere but i cant remember from where i read it...

Mustangs are common, Please stand out!

We arent lemmings.... just b/c one redneck says that flows sound good... doesnt mean we all NEED to get them. I get soooo many people that come up to me and are like.. Dude, your exhaust sounds SICK... what do you have on there.

BBK x-pipe and dumped stock Cobra mufflers.... (i really need a sound clip)
Old 04-03-2006, 02:02 AM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Your being harsh adder, some people like the tone. Get what ever exhaust you want but look around to see which one you will really like, there are probably some out there that you havent heard. I know what you mean about quick and easy to install. Look into the control arms though you wont regret it, its also quick and easy to install. Good luck and keep us informed, but go for the 65mm.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:58 AM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

So you think a 65 mm throttle body is the way to go? I've heard some different opinions, but most people say the same thing as you, that 65mm is the way to go with a stock 5.0. That's probably what i'll end up with. What do you think is the best brand out there?

Quick Reply: throttle body/cold air kit combo