5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

door molding removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: door molding removal?

hey lol im talking about the molding on the OUTSIDE of the door, i have had my interior apart many many times the door pannel is no biggie to take off. but im not sure about the molding its self.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:51 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

I'm pretty sure i saw a tool on 50resto.com to do what you're talking about. look around
there, or download the catlg. think i saw some stuff in there that wasnt on site.

but yes i think you a special little tool, good putty knife, heat gun, and patience probably get her done too.

new pieces dont look to cost that much either.

ORIGINAL: Tims 88GT

hey lol im talking about the molding on the OUTSIDE of the door, i have had my interior apart many many times the door pannel is no biggie to take off. but im not sure about the molding its self.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

149.95 is a lot thats only for one side and god only knows if a new molding will fit right. im looking for the tool now.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:10 PM
jclaudii
1st Gear Member

use a heat gun or do it on a really hot day after it's been in the sun a long time....Or if your up north...if you do it on a really cold day it seems to come off okay too. Mine started pealing at the ends and one day I went to get out of my car and it contracted so much it wouldnt let me open my door. So after I got out I just grabed it and pulled really really hard. it all came off except for the adhesive tape stuff. about 6 montsh later I get some moeny to get it put back on, I could have done it myself but I was unsure of how to get the foam adhesive tape off. The bodyshop guys used something called a a magic eraser, rubber eraser, or body eraser. Can't rember the exact name, anyway it is a rubber like wheel that was hooked to their drill motor and it took the foam tape off without hurting the paint!!!! They "erased" the crap off for 20 bucks and used their 3m adhesive tape to stick it back on, can't beat that. My stang is a 92 stang so I know they come off and can be reused. The molding side was a lil different, I guess from the factory they come with molding already aplied on a alumnium backing strip. I just used some pliers and pulled the aluminum adhesive strip off. The molding has been on now for about 6 months with no trouble.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

thanks for the info guys.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:15 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Listen... screw all these other bone heads

If you have a heat gun use it but if not a blowdryer will do JUST FINE.

Take a blowdryer to the molding wait until it gets really hot and stick a putty knife in there and pry it off a little bit.

Keep blowdrying it and just move down the molding while slicing the tape with the knife... just try not to bend the molding as you are taking it off... knife it from the top and from the bottom of it.

Do a few inches at a time and it will come off perfect.

Its not hard and I will kill you if you take it to a shop
Old 04-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

^^^ haha Dan the man, he always comes to the rescue. thanks
Old 04-04-2006, 06:18 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

LoL No problem I just did this a few weeks ago so I know that it works... just remember what I said about not bending the molding...

Also, are you reusing these moldings?
Old 04-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

yes they will be painted and put back on, i dont have the 150 for each side lol.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:24 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

You are going to repaint them ???

I am just making sure becuase when I took mine off I bent the hell out of them (because they were GT moldings and I converted to an LX) and the paint just fell off after everything flexed out. I am just making sure that doesnt happen to you.

Quick Reply: door molding removal?