5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

badly need new tires.. help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 09:13 PM
DanHS
1st Gear Member

Default RE: badly need new tires.. help!

Sorry to hijack, but I'm also interested in any opinions on BFG G-force sports, or other tires of around $100. I lost a left front tire to a badly placed curb, I have an old gt II on there for now and I can't take it much longer. I don't want to just stick another potenza g009 on, I need to put something good on already, at least in the front. They have to be excellent in the rain, snow is not an issue (that's what the Jeep is for).
Old 04-07-2006, 09:20 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

all those $100 tires have lower wear rating numbers, probably do fine, just dont expect them to last very long.

ORIGINAL: DanHS

Sorry to hijack, but I'm also interested in any opinions on BFG G-force sports, or other tires of around $100. I lost a left front tire to a badly placed curb, I have an old gt II on there for now and I can't take it much longer. I don't want to just stick another potenza g009 on, I need to put something good on already, at least in the front. They have to be excellent in the rain, snow is not an issue (that's what the Jeep is for).
Old 04-07-2006, 09:45 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

bf goodrich are good tires. they last a long time if you remember to rotate them.
goodyears are good.
some firestones are okay

what ever you do, dont buy tires from walmart. they'll give you tires that all say the same name but the tread depth varies or the actual size will be wrong. I've got goodyear F1s or some crap like that. i dunno how much they were though
Old 04-07-2006, 09:57 PM
collincastaneda
2nd Gear Member

Dont buy expensive tires if you like to do burnouts.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:31 PM
DanHS
1st Gear Member

Well I don't do burnouts on good tires. I used to melt the old gtIIs all the time. lol. These will go on the front now anyway, just need to be sticky and slice through water. And I only buy my tires from this independant shop that's really good and has good prices.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:25 PM
tcwc
2nd Gear Member

There are Yokohama AVID S/T's (235-60/15) on Tire Rack for $54.00 each. I think shipping is free. A local tire shop here will mount and balance for $6.00 per tire. That brings the total to $60.00 a piece. Customer reviews don't seem bad. As soon as I get the damn clutch figured out, I'm grabbing a set. Yokos used to be a good brand, not sure any more (i've been out of it for awhile). The AVID S/T might be their 'el-cheapo' model also. Hell, at 60.00 a wheel though .... don't sound bad.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:19 AM
elusive1
1st Gear Member

well i think i've decided on going with the bfg g-force sports. i loved them on my old car and they seem to get good overall ratings at tirerack.com. but i'm still uncertain on what size to go with.

i was thinking either:

a) 225/55 all around (able to rotate, stock reccomended size)
b) 225/55 front & 245/50 rear (can't rotate - but can replace 2 at a time after wearing them down, wide rears look sick)
c) 245/50 all around (able to rotate, but wide front tires can look goofy)

what do you guys think?
Old 04-10-2006, 11:26 AM
slo5.0
1st Gear Member

check out kumho ventus II.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:13 PM
5.0_faithful
2nd Gear Member

Get some Yokohama Avid 4-S or something like that. About $89 each. Great dry wet traction. very good snow traction, very good tread life , comfort, low noise, these tires have some of the best overall ratings for the price , In every category they score better than most all other brands!
Old 04-12-2006, 10:04 PM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

I recently had to get tires also. I went with BF Goodrich Traction TA's in H speed rating. They have performed phenomenally in both dry and wet conditions. I think they have Gorilla Glue in the treads or something (joking for those who invariably can't tell the difference). My old tires were some asian brand (can't remember what, never heard of 'em before I bought the car) and they did fair on dry roads, but they would break loose on take off if the road was just a little bit damp. I REALLY like these Traction TA's. The ride is good and they grip super on both wet and dry. Mine are stock size, 225/60/15, on a stock GT Vertible with AOD. I got them from SAM's club for around $357 for a set of 4 installed. Like I said earlier, make sure you get the H rated (unless you want the V rated, I don't go that fast) because the tread pattern is different than the S rated tire. It is a directional tread, so you'll have to rotate front to back (but that's how I do radials anyway).

Quick Reply: badly need new tires.. help!