5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Distributor mounted TFI module situation

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Intense

Default Distributor mounted TFI module situation

Hi, I have a 92 lx convertible and in my quest for knowledge about my car, I've come across some fairly disturbing information regarding TFI modules that are mounted to the distributor (which my car has). Apparently this design is dangerous as distributor mounted TFI modules are susceptible to intermittent failure caused by thermal stress. Is this something I should be worried about?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:14 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Distributor mounted TFI module situation

Drove my car for 4 years, no problems with it yet...have never heard of that being a big deal. I wouldn't worry about it. I don't know what would be dangerous about it either.....
Old 04-09-2006, 10:17 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

those were problems with the old rangers, because the dizzy was in the back next to the firewall so they got really hot, its not a problem with the 5.0's
Old 04-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Intense

Apparently it's dangerous because the vehicle can stall and die on the highway at any time causing the driver to loose control. Here's a link: http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=&did=362
Old 04-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Intense

Apparently it's dangerous because the vehicle can stall and die on the highway at any time causing the driver to loose control. Here's a link: http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=&did=362
Read the documentation on the link.......that's a typical failure cause generalization made by attorneys .

"distributor mounted TFI modules are susceptible to intermittent failure caused by thermal stress"

I know many distributor mounted (internal and external) designs that haven't been exposed to that type of judicial mumbo jumbo, with the same failure rates as the TFI modules. GM's HEI module is distributor mounted, '84+ Hondas are distributor mounted....yeah, ricers too. Same failure possibilities....they can stall and die on the highway and at intersections too. BTST....I always follow a basic rule of thumb I learned from the electronics industry......"an electronic component/device has a 5 yrs. useful life designed into it".....and the basic law all attorneys tend to forget.....

Murphy's Law:....if it can fail, it will fail....if it can't fail, it will fail.....therefore, everything is susceptible to failure.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:06 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

That can happen, and it does at some point in a 5.0's lifetime. It's nothing to stress over though!!
Old 04-10-2006, 12:18 AM
Intense

Right on, I was hoping to hear that because I LOVE the car! Thanks for the info!
Old 04-10-2006, 12:28 AM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

To feel better, look at some of the mileage threads on this site. Most of the 5.0's appear to have around 150,000 or more on them. Yes, TFI's do fail without warning. So do coils, batteries, fuel pumps, hoses, radios, etc., etc., etc. Frequency is not so much though. As others have mentioned, similar failures can occur on ANY vehicle from ANY manufacturer and yet there are millions of cars still on the road with many of them having the annoying tendency to get in my way. No reason for undue concern.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

One detail I forgot to mention, TFI failures due to excessive heat, is also caused by not using the dielectric grease/heat sink compound you have to apply to the contact surfaces of the module and the distributor housing.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:22 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Just carry an extra with you if you're that worried...

Quick Reply: Distributor mounted TFI module situation