5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

5 lug conversion- Im so confused!! Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:08 AM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

Default 5 lug conversion- Im so confused!! Please help

hello,
My brother has a 90 mustang gt and we are putting in a 347 stroker motor, yada yada yada. Anyway, he sold his old 4 bolt cobra r rims and now looking to convert his fox to 5 lug. He likes the look of some new 17x10.5 cobra rims from mustangtuning.com. I have searched on here and found lots of good info, but just wondering is it is possible to put this size of rim on a fox. The main thing he wants to know is what is the largest rims/tires he can put on and what parts will he need to do the coversion. From what I have read, ranger axles, mark rotors etc, but someother places say sn95 stuff. What is recommended, what have you guys done and are happy with. Thanks for any help!!
Old 04-10-2006, 12:13 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: 5 lug conversion- Im so confused!! Please help

You will have a tuff time fitting 10.5's on the back of a fox. It can be done w/ alota work. You'd be better suited going w/ 9's. Here's a tech article to get you started.

http://www.stangnet.com/tech/lug.html
Old 04-10-2006, 12:21 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

mustangsunlimited.com has a lot of good 5 lug conversion stuff for cheap
Old 04-10-2006, 12:31 AM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

Go to your local auto parts store and get rotors for an 88 Lincoln mark VII. they are five lug and are the same as the 4 lug 5.0 stuff right down to the bearings. Then you can order axles from FRPP or get the long side axle out of a junk yard from two ranfer rear diffs. You need two long side axles as the rangers have one long and one short. Then for 25 bucks at your local auto parts store you can get brake drums for a Ranger and you are good the go. Very cheap way to do it.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:43 AM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

okay, this is awesome help guys! So, if I go with the ranger rear axles then I should be able to squeeze on some 17x9's? As for the front, if i want at least 17 inch wheels (not sure about width yet), will the markVII rotors etc work or should I do the whole SN-95 thing. Main thing is going as big as possible in the back- but not sure about the front. Just wondering how how big the markVII rotors will allow me to go.. my goal is to have at least 17x9 in rear and 17x ? in the front. thanks again for the help. This is clearing things up.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:49 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

If you go w/ the lincoln rotors it will limit your wheel posibilities. If you go the sn-95 route, it will open the door. I would run the 17x8's in the front. Any bigger is just overkill. Although some ppl run 9's.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:08 AM
ddeaton66
3rd Gear Member

What is the downside to doing a full SN95 swap.....is the SN95 rear 8.8 a tad wider......if I remember correctly...any problems up front?
Old 04-10-2006, 01:29 AM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

fronts fine... its just wider in the back
Old 04-10-2006, 01:30 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Go to your local auto parts store and get rotors for an 88 Lincoln mark VII. they are five lug and are the same as the 4 lug 5.0 stuff right down to the bearings. Then you can order axles from FRPP or get the long side axle out of a junk yard from two ranfer rear diffs. You need two long side axles as the rangers have one long and one short. Then for 25 bucks at your local auto parts store you can get brake drums for a Ranger and you are good the go. Very cheap way to do it.
NOTE.. only some wheels will work on the front because sometimes the center caps dont fit with certain wheels
Old 04-10-2006, 02:17 AM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

im thinking im going to do the sn-95 on the front mainly because mustangtuning.com has some pretty cool cobra rims.. I have a feeling that nothing new as far as rims go will fit on a markVII. I know with my 95, the options are unlimited....

Quick Reply: 5 lug conversion- Im so confused!! Please help