5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

burbling, popping exhaust now!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 06:17 PM
AdamB
2nd Gear Member

Default burbling, popping exhaust now!!

Hi, after having an E303 cam and new 36 lb injectors and BA2400 MAF etc installed, and the computer tweec'ed with the Tweecer, the car now pops upon letting off gas after high revs. You know rev high in gear, let off gas and let her wind down slowly.

Anyhow, could this be the new cam, or is it running rich etc? With the old cam, 19 lb injectors and stock MAF, it never popped when doing the aforementioned...

I have the RT version of Tweecer, and the KAM's appear to be pulling some gas out since they are around 1.2 or so.

I told my tuner this, he said to change my OL fuel multiplier to 1, it was set to .9something. It didn't help, I think it should be the other way...
Old 04-10-2006, 06:20 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Default RE: burbling, popping exhaust now!!

It's not from anything wrong. it's the back pressure being released. My old exhaust setup did that with stock everything. All it was, was that the exhaust flowed soo freely that their was very little back pressure. Then when you let off like that you no longer pushing the exhaust out and everything that is left in the system is now filling the chambers of the mufflers.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:22 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Also, on a side note, I'm looking at getting that Tweecer RT for myself. Do you like it? Do you feel it's worth the money? Also, are you having trouble understanding how to tune it or their software and website explain everything really well?
Old 04-10-2006, 07:59 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

i dont know what your complaining about with the popping noise i love that sound my exhaust does it all the time. if you have after market exhaust it will pop like that its normal so dont worry about anything
Old 04-10-2006, 08:39 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

probably an exhaust leak the raw gas hits the cool fresh incoming air and ignites!
Old 04-11-2006, 12:52 AM
AdamB
2nd Gear Member

It never did this before with equal length BBK, 2.5 O/R H into 2 chamber flows...

Now it does with, no exhaust change, only cam and injectors.

It has to be something with either running too lean, or too rich. I'm guess too rich.

The Tweecer lets you change everything you can think of, and more. The manual isn't bad, and I've been subscribed to the yahoo forum. You can learn alot if you like to read! I had my car professionally tuned so that it would at least start and run. Now, I get to play around changing somethings like timing advance etc. My car started right up cold, but once warm was a problem to start. I went into the Tweecer and added more fuel for warm starts and now it's great.

It's amazing how much stuff Ford put into their EEC's...
Old 04-11-2006, 01:06 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

If the engine is runnng too rich or your spark is not timed right, you could be not burning
all the fuel before it exhausts out. hence you would have raw fuel in your exhaust and it
could ignite in the exhaust pipes.
I could see this happening especially at wide open throttle as you dump tons of fuel into the cylinders.

Your Tweecer tune should have adjusted for this though, so could be any number of things, but since
it started after cam and injector upgrade my money is on too rich a mixture.

ORIGINAL: AdamB

It never did this before with equal length BBK, 2.5 O/R H into 2 chamber flows...

Now it does with, no exhaust change, only cam and injectors.

It has to be something with either running too lean, or too rich. I'm guess too rich.

The Tweecer lets you change everything you can think of, and more. The manual isn't bad, and I've been subscribed to the yahoo forum. You can learn alot if you like to read! I had my car professionally tuned so that it would at least start and run. Now, I get to play around changing somethings like timing advance etc. My car started right up cold, but once warm was a problem to start. I went into the Tweecer and added more fuel for warm starts and now it's great.

It's amazing how much stuff Ford put into their EEC's...
Old 04-11-2006, 01:11 AM
AdamB
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I am probably going to have the hypertech chip that was in it scanned so I can see that tune. It never did it with that tune (that was before the cam and injector install).

My car is set to run slightly rich since it is supercharged. However, I believe it is too much. I will have to play around with the tweecer (that's why I have it).

I was really just wondering if the addition of the E303 cam would have anything to do with it, and if rich or lean would do it too. My next day off (who's knows when that'll be) I'll have to play around.

At least the car runs and drives