5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

at my wits end....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 02:33 AM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

Default at my wits end....

I have a 1991 5.0 GT. I LOVE my car and every time i get a lil bit of extra cash i try to buy some performance parts for it, but i am battling something that is absolutley kicking my butt....
about 3 months ago, i installed an Ecam and a cobra intake, well i kept having problems with the intake(coolant seeping into the oil), well come to find out i had the wrong torque sequence on the lower intake (this was after about 50 quarts of oil and quite a few gallons of coolant). I torqued everything down in the proper sequence, THEN put a cooling system pressure tester on it before adding more oil or coolant and it stayed at 16lbs for about 20 minutes. So I added the coolant and the oil and started the car. Everything seemed PERFECT. Well today (about a month later) i noticed i had an oil leak (and leaks are not something that happens on my car without being noticed, i park in a shop that has white floors.) i noticed the oil had a very very green tint to it. I took my car into another part of the shop and drained the oil and sure enough there was coolant in the oil. I put another pressure tester on the system and sure enough it has a leak. It isnt smoking and if it hadnt started whenever i put the intake on then i would blame the head gaskets. I ordered some AFR heads and they arent here yet, but whenever I get the new heads on i want this car to run like a dream. Sometimes I wish my car was still stock......

Any help is appreciated
Old 04-12-2006, 02:38 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

Default RE: at my wits end....

probably have some leaky intake manifold gaskets. coulda cracked a little when you torqued em wrong, and then got worse over time.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:42 AM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

i replaced the gaskets everytime i torqued em wrong (that was about 5 or 6 times). I thought i was doing something really wrong the first few times, the chilton and everything says torque the intake from out to in. I finally got fed up with it and went to a ford dealership (knowing that there has to be at least one mustang junkie there) and he corrected me saying it was inside out that solved my problem temporarily.

was i supposed to go back and retorque the bolts like you do header bolts????
Old 04-12-2006, 02:48 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

I think I know what it is, I had similiar issue.

Have you changed the timing cover gasket recenty? Those 2 bottom cork gaskets on the oil pan have a tenency to leak, and if theres a collant leak from the timing cover then its going to get in your oil.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:54 AM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

yeah i replaced the cam the same time as the intake......

how hard is it to change the oilpan gasket on a fox.....i wanted to do that when i had everything apart for the heads....id rather reaplace every gasket i can once i put the heads on there, bc i eventually would like to add a lil 75 dry shot to the motor, and i would like all the gaskets to be tiptop you know what i mean.

p.s. this is off subect, but we havent heard anything about how much you love that SC....fill us broke ppl in....
Old 04-12-2006, 02:58 AM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

was i supposed to go back and retorque the bolts like you do header bolts????
yes after they have gone through a heat cycle you should retorque them again.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:02 AM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

anotehr question im kinda curious about is i was reading the AFR site and they had said that you shoulnt use a torque wrench on the intake bolts with thier heads....does anyone know why and how tight i should tighten the bolts if i am not supposed to use a torque wrench?
Old 04-12-2006, 03:10 AM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

How bad did you mis-torque the heads? If the block is cracked and there is a waterjacket leaking, this might be your problem.

Otherwise, do you have an oilcooler installed?

Jim
Old 04-12-2006, 03:26 AM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

no the heads havent been removed YET...I havent got my new heads in just yet. I wanted to fix this problem BEFORE i start messing with the new heads., and no there is no oil cooler installed.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:59 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

are you sure there isnt any damage to any place that contacts with the gaskets?

Quick Reply: at my wits end....