5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Ignition Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 08:20 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Default Ignition Lightning

I looked under the hood of my car when i got home earlier (like 2am) because my car had been missing every now & then. I figured popping the hood @ night & looking could show me the reason behind it. So I did just that only to find a blue spark show. Starting with the coil. The coil itself seemed like it had a really thin plastic outside. It looked like a blue light kept turning on & off inside the coil. Then the coil wire was arcing on the frame, ac pump, a plug wire it was laying on, & on one of the clips on the distributor. following the wires, there were like 2 on the passenger side arcing to eachother & all 4 were on the passenger side. you could even see a little bit of blue flashing really fast where the plugs threaded into the head. was like 4 blue rings. I could just be thinking bad about the situation, but doesn't this mean it's time to replace the wires? & what about the plugs having a blue ring of electricity around them & it looking like there is a dim blue light inside the coil?

btw, three things that might be good to mention. 1: It wasn't like a super visible arc on any part of it, the kind that is only noticable in pitch black or really close. all the arcs were pretty dim. 2: The coil, distributor, & plugs still look like the stockish type. 3: The wires are all touching eachother. I don't have anything to hold them up. so i wrapped them around eachother so they couldn't melt on the headers. If i wouldn't have wrapped them about 6 of them would be touching the headers.

Edit: I started it & held the coil wire. I could see blue all around where i was touching, but I couldn't feel anything. Wasn't shocking at all
Old 04-14-2006, 01:17 PM
kevstang87
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Ignition Lightning

Dude, When was the last time your car had a tune up? I f you dont know I would do a complete tune up. And to keep the wires off the headers and what not .....they sell pieces of plastic that holds each wire and the wire wont dangle or hang to low. Below is a link to show you what I mean....you can buy these are one like them at any parts store

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...1227&langId=-1
Old 04-14-2006, 01:18 PM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like some kind of corona effect. Wires are probably breaking down, wouldn't hurt to replace them. Before doing that though, you might want to make sure that all of the boots are coated inside with the thin dielectric grease for plug wires.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:53 PM
meiguoren33
2nd Gear Member

Corona is normal to some extent. The worse shape your plugs are in, the greater the voltage demand. Gapping, a new plugs to .005" lower than OE will help reduce the stress on your wires and reduce high speed misfires. Also, definetly use silicon based dielectric boot grease mentioned below. Petroleum based grease is not acceptable. Space the wires apart as much as possible where they run in parrallel to prevent crossfire, crossing wires at a 90 is okay