5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Short shifter install, Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 02:01 AM
93Mustang5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default Short shifter install, Questions

Well, So far ive takin off the upper part of the console and its not to hard, but now i am working my way to the front. I am having a little bit of a problem getting the steering box console off, to remove the grey long piece underneath the drivers side. After that I believe that I will be exposed to 2 bolts on the left side that hold on the radio and a/c console sheet. What stuff should I look for? Also how do I remove the glove box? I kinda figured that maybe i'd have to somehow pull off the rubber ends and the drawer would fall, but im not sure. But after that, another question I have is, Do I have to remove anything under the rubber boot? Or Do I just unbolt the 4 main bolts that hold the stock shifter to the tranny case. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2006, 02:09 AM
Dirty Sanchez
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Short shifter install, Questions

Ummm, maybe it's the fact that I've had a few beers...but you sound like you're going through way too much trouble. You do know that you can just grab the black plastic piece around the shifter boot, and pull up. This will expose you to everything you need to get to in order to put in the shifter. No need to remove the glove box or any of that stuff..
Old 04-15-2006, 02:14 AM
Suspect
2nd Gear Member

im not sure either, but it does kinda sound like ur unbolting too much. check out this page..
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/shift1.htm
Old 04-15-2006, 02:49 AM
93Mustang5.0
2nd Gear Member

well i wish i didnt have to, but unfortantly i have to b/c of the console being in the way of two of the front bolts and really theres not enough room to maneuver and i dont want to strip a bolt. pro50 knows what im talking about, i think he removed his console. but really i just want to know if im removing to much. it all relates to ending up with the two bolts exposed clearly so i can get in there with a socket and get them out. i'll take a pic in the morning of all the mess....
Old 04-15-2006, 02:57 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

You can remove the piece under the colum by take out the 2 screws that hold it at the bottom, then the top is just clipped in. To lower the glove box, just push the sides in and pull it out and let it hang. There are 2 screws on both sides that hold the center councle on the front and two in the back under the arm rest. You also have to remove the arm rest first, then the e brake cover, then the whole center. Pretty basic once you see how it comes appart. I had to remove mine for the same reasons.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:58 AM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

I had to do the same thing and remove all that stuff to but it turned out to be a bigger problem than just not being able to get to 2 bolts. One of my engine mounts was not even bolted to my engine and there was a snapped bolt in the block where the one of the bolts goes. That caused my Engine and tranny to be positioned in such a way that i was not able to get to 2 of the bolts for the shifter. I had to remove all of the stuff you are removing and even cut part of the floor. I replaced the mounts with energy suspension poly mounts and fixed that problem. I'm not sure what 2 bolts it was that i couldn't get to. I hope you dont have the same problem I did. If you do good luck!
Old 04-15-2006, 03:01 AM
93Mustang5.0
2nd Gear Member

I got the whole center console unbolted and out.

I got the e brake top one, then the other one under that one is loose. I just have to find a way to get that upper console off that supports the a/c, and radio. You said that it was clipped in? I thought there was two bolts on each side that you had to undo. Therefore making me having to take off the long grey plastic piece kinda underneath the gauge cluster near the steering column. Two of the 4 bolts are hidden under that, So basically what I think is that it will come off with ease after they are off. I just am having a problem with undoing the steering box, one of the clips wont let go or something.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:02 AM
93Mustang5.0
2nd Gear Member

Nope, They both are barely inaccessable. Removing the console would do the trick... Sorry to hear that you had to go through all of that.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:11 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Did you look at the link posted above? It's on a newer model but essentially the same steps. The radio console is part of the dash and does NOT have to come out.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:12 AM
topless92

It's funny. I went through taking the glove box off and the stearing column covers. Then I decided it wasn't worth the extra time to remove everything. I put it back together and was able to get to the front two bolts without a problem. I had a harder time with the right rear bolt when it came to reassembly. Use a shorty open ended wrench or a articulated extension. It was alot easier than disassembling the dash for sure.

Quick Reply: Short shifter install, Questions