5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

BBK Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 04:50 PM
cybermecium

Default RE: BBK Headers?

They make X- and H-Pipes which are shortened so that you can use full-length headers with the crossover pipe, plus the catback and have it all fit under the car.

Jake

Old 04-18-2006, 05:22 PM
collincastaneda
2nd Gear Member

How do you think BBK ceramic long tubes would sound with an o/r H pipe?

Also...will there be a problem with the headers scraping the ground with the long tubes?
Old 04-18-2006, 05:35 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: collincastaneda

How do you think BBK ceramic long tubes would sound with an o/r H pipe?

Also...will there be a problem with the headers scraping the ground with the long tubes?
Will sound just fine, depending on what mufflers you're running. Scraping would depend on how low your car is. I know of several folks who bang their flanges on just about every bump.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:36 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LX 5.0

Looks Good! I assume the Full legth headers wouldn't leave room for my magnaflow mufflers. Am I right? In other worlds how does it work with full length headers with the cat converters and all? I'd say I know what I am doing behind the wheel but I'm no wizz under the hood.
Like cyber said, they make midpipes for long tube headers. If I were you, I would ditch that stock, 4-cat converter no matter what header you go with.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:30 PM
g2_5point0
2nd Gear Member

ceramic coated headers are more or less $100 more. is it worth it?
Old 04-18-2006, 06:36 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Yes. Personally, if I was going w/ shorties, I'd get the unequals b/c I don't want to mess w/ a tight fit in the engine bay. FRPP shorties are stainless for ~239 or so on Summit, and their ceramic ones are Jethot coated for $289 @ livernoismotorsports.com.

Just be sure you realize that if you get the chrome shorties, they will be blue and black very shortly. the heat discolors them quickly and they will rust/corrode in the next couple of years. Stainless and ceramic headers usually do not corrode and ceramic keeps the temp in your engine bay down a little more.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:38 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

no.....unless looks is very important....... most here have no clue on what they are saying.......it doesn't cool anything.unless the inside of the headers are jet coated...I would go the equal route as this is mostly what I install.yes on a stock engine it might make 2-5 more hp than unequal but who keeps a stang stock?*L*...I use small pieces of metal tape to keep from any heat getting on the boots...if your going to use the stock mid pipe I wouldn't even buy headers til you make the change....using 2.5" piping is the way to go for better flow more horsepower a tad better gas mileage and a deeper sound
Old 04-18-2006, 06:51 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2 kwik
most here have no clue on what they are saying
Little harsh, don't ya think?[&:]
As for the ceramic debate, I would say to get it. Not necessarily for looks, but for longevity. I sure wish I had,
Old 04-18-2006, 06:56 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Most of the ceramic headers I've seen are coated inside and out...what would be the point otherwise? As for them not being worth it, 2 hp isn't worth the extra $ for equals. Use that money towards an O/R H pipe or something else. It's funny that you say the equals are worth the cash but ceramic isn't worth it.....pay extra $ for 2-5 hp you won't notice so that you can have less room in your engine bay and a helluva time changing plugs, or pay extra for headers that will last longer and help dissipate heat better (and not take up any more room than stockers).
Old 04-18-2006, 08:04 PM
89GTRed
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DumbAss
most here have no clue on what they are saying.......
[sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=bangbang.gif]

Quick Reply: BBK Headers?