5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Talk me into it...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 01:25 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Talk me into it...

If it will be your daily driver, just make sure it has no serious problems. These cars can get expensive real quick with those kind of miles. I learned the hard way.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:29 AM
gt884me
2nd Gear Member

GET IT!!![sm=goodidea.gif]
Old 04-20-2006, 01:30 AM
ScottY94GT
1st Gear Member

Umm...this is a Mustang site....i think u know the answer ur gonna get from us!
Old 04-20-2006, 02:36 AM
clienterror
1st Gear Member

I used to be into sport compacts for about a year or 2 and I always found that **** funny cause Id read a "Import" mag and theyd add like TONS of **** onto a stock civic....or something like that. Pretty much like $4,000 in performance ****. Then they Dyno it and its like SUCCESS we gained 37 hp at the wheels its a mean tuner car!

Then I open "Mustang and other Fast Ford" mag and their like. We installed a Ebay air intake with high flow filter for $40 and like a Comp cam that costs like $130 and they dyno it on a stock Fox body and its like we only got 55 RWHP over stock with like under $200 in mods.

It just blows my mind how import/sport compacts nut on themselves over these mods that net like hardly any HP for crazy amounts of money. So 4,000 into a civic maybe a 13-14 sec car and it is also as fast as it will ever go, cant do any more mods if it doesnt blow up. Put 4,000 into a Fox 5.0 and you have like a 11 sec car and you can make it even go faster and still be streetable. I just dont get it.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:25 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

yea same here i use to have a cavi i was wanting to fix up before someone hit me. but neways i have a friend that has a neon that is turbocharging and expecting to get like 50-60hp and be putting down like 250 to the wheels. we can do that easily with a good head swap.

so turbo kit and accesories alot of money

head swap on 5.0 1000-1200 on bone stock mustang easy horses
Old 04-20-2006, 11:38 AM
secondhandloser
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: clienterror

I used to be into sport compacts for about a year or 2 and I always found that **** funny cause Id read a "Import" mag and theyd add like TONS of **** onto a stock civic....or something like that. Pretty much like $4,000 in performance ****. Then they Dyno it and its like SUCCESS we gained 37 hp at the wheels its a mean tuner car!

Then I open "Mustang and other Fast Ford" mag and their like. We installed a Ebay air intake with high flow filter for $40 and like a Comp cam that costs like $130 and they dyno it on a stock Fox body and its like we only got 55 RWHP over stock with like under $200 in mods.

It just blows my mind how import/sport compacts nut on themselves over these mods that net like hardly any HP for crazy amounts of money. So 4,000 into a civic maybe a 13-14 sec car and it is also as fast as it will ever go, cant do any more mods if it doesnt blow up. Put 4,000 into a Fox 5.0 and you have like a 11 sec car and you can make it even go faster and still be streetable. I just dont get it.

yeah, the thing for me is I am more into handling than speed, and I really like a car that feels light. The only cars I have ever owned have been Honda's, and they have never let me down.
]

As far as a Civic only being capable of running 13 seconds... it all depends on the tuner. I know people with 10 second Civics that have very little besides lots of time piecing together their own turbo kits and rebuilding the motor.

I don't need a ridiculously fast car, I want a fun car. I'd like a Mustang for the change, but I am worried about reliability and gas mileage.

Oh yeah, and on the topic of the car mags... I always laugh when people with domestics brag about their gas mileage... "guess what guys, I get almost 15 miles to the gallon"....

*pushing over 40 the the gallon*
Old 04-20-2006, 12:02 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

If you're serious about it then I would do it. I have COMPLETELY rebuilt my 5.0 for under 4k with a lot of extra parts I needed to make it run right. You should go the route blue88 suggested if you want to keep your costs down and still see great gains.

Also, a foxbody is one of the better "heavier" cars for AutoX since it's actually lighter than other v8's by a good margin. You can loose weight on a fox pretty quick if you really want to, and w/ the right suspension setup, autoX it all day long and run circles around hondas.

Back seat removal w/ buckles -40#'s
aluminum heads -60#'s
tubular K member w/ tubular a-arms and coilover -50#'s
race seats -30#'s (both)
battery relocate to trunk (driver's side) =better weight dist.
=180#'s less

I know I'm forgetting some things.....
Old 04-20-2006, 06:16 PM
secondhandloser
2nd Gear Member

Nah, this is gonna be my summer car, occasionally take it to the track.

It is pretty much impossible to beat my Civic as a DD, 40 MPG, driving 500 or so miles a week...

This is just gonna be a car to mess around with.

Oh yeah... to the other guy about Honda's being slow....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+civic&pl=true
ORIGINAL: Twisted

If it will be your daily driver, just make sure it has no serious problems. These cars can get expensive real quick with those kind of miles. I learned the hard way.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:36 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

I don't know if that was directed at me or not, but I've got no problem w/ foreign cars. My view is that you can spend the same $$ on a mustang or LS1 and get at LEAST 2x the speed/power out of it.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:46 PM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: secondhandloser
I have a chance to buy an 89 LX for 7-800 dollars, over 200,000 miles, but I would want to rebuild it anyway. Now, I have always been a sport compact guy because I am more into autocross style racing than dragging, but I was thinking this might be a fun project.

I'd like to have a pretty good idea of what this is gonna cost before I get into it though, because I have college to pay for before long, and don't have an unlimited supply of cash...

Thanks for the help...
7-800 bucks is SWEET if the interior/body is in usable shape. You'll have to throw a few bucks into it and a little love (or alot), and you'll be revving that exhaust and forget all about them sport compacts!! I don't care how big a can you hang out the back of a civic, it'll never sound like a stang!!!

EBAY will become one of your new best friends (and possibly your worst enemy) as you can find some nice used stuff (exhaust/TB/CAI/etc) but when someone outbids you your like ***** FU#*ER!!

A stock mustang with some 3.73 gears, 5spd (4.10 automatic) and some cheap bolt-ons with some nice exhaust is pretty tough, and if you got some extra cash laying around for heads/cam/intake, then you'll be kickin yourself in the *** for not getting one sooner!!

Quick Reply: Talk me into it...