5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How long do they last, and your opinion please :D

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 12:05 PM
micfly83

Default How long do they last, and your opinion please :D

Hey guys, I've been readin the forums for a while now and am plannin on gettin a 89-93 fox (hopefully notch). I'm gonna be sellin my jeep and I'll probably have around 5 or 6 grand to spend on the car. I've been lookin at some on autotrader and the mileage for them is all over the place. Its obviously tough finding one with the normal 70-80K target. They are more like 110K-150k. So my question is, is how well do these things hold up in the 100k+ mileage. Lets face it, it is a FORD, which is American, so I'm a little worried, but from reading reviews, this is apparently one of the best ford cars ever made. I plan on doin the trickflow H/C/I kit and whatever supporting mods to get around 300hp and my dad was saying that if I were to mod a high mileage engine and run it hard, i'll more than likely throw a rod or something -_- (he likes imports haha).

On a side note, I'm a little torn between cars to buy. I've always wanted a foxbody like many of you, but i'm also considerin a 300zx, or a BMW 325 or 328. Each of these will probably definitely have over 100K miles, but these cars are "supposed" to last longer than a ford mustang . I'm not lookin for speed so much with these cars, just the stylin factor. So give me your arguments over why I should buy the mustang

Thanks

*i'm sure this has been covered a sh*tload of times before, but for some reason I couldn't find it usin the search*
Old 04-21-2006, 12:14 PM
nitr0x99
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How long do they last, and your opinion please :D

Coming from a Nissan guy, a 300zxs(whether itbe a Z31 or Z32, arent known for their great reliability). I've heard a lot of bad things about BMW's also(and the price of labor and parts is much higher than american or japanese).

IF you want reliable get a civic, if you want fun get a fox
Old 04-21-2006, 12:31 PM
1993 5.0
2nd Gear Member

I bought my 93 GT 4 years ago with 99,900 miles on it and it runs like a brand new car, it has 107,000 miles on it now, I have taken it to the track, and drive it all summer, I haven't had any problems, but i think it is a matter of finding one that was taken care of, I got mine for $5,300 it had bbk headers, 2 1/2" h-pipe flowmasters, 3:55 rear end, k&n, sub-frame connectors, strurt tower brace, 70mm throttle body, it just had a new paint job, and the car has no rust, it took me 5 months to find it but well worth the wait, keep looking you won't be disapointed. very fun car to own.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:58 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

I've had my 1989 LX 5.0 vert with now 96,000 miles on it
for about 8 years.

Engine and drivetrain have held up awesome.

Had some minor problems here there, -
water pump, heater core, shocks, brakes, power windows, that kinda stuff.
engine just seems to run and run and run.

just look for clean one with less then 100k on it.
you can find em if your patient.

new stock engine on these cars is only about $900
and you can drop a 350hp screamer in there for well under $5,000
5 speed trans cost about $1,100 for new heavy duty or $500 to rebuild stock.

everything is fixable and you can upgrade here and there
over time for not too much money all at once.

The stang will be good car just plan on having the odd headache every now
and then, but you're going to get those on any 15+ year old car, be it jap, german, or american.

just find one that hasn't been ragged on by some 17 year old with a lead foot.
Got mine from middle aged guy that had it since new and was his Sunday car.
They're out there, just be patient in finding it.

On the trickflow head kit side: I'm going to get same kit and then buy stock short block local for $500. ( www.tbolt.net was stock short block for $500 )
you get a new engine with stock bottom end and trickflow top kit for less than $3,000
and there are also tons of people in here running H/C/I kits AND 10psi blowers on 100k engines and have no problems.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

it really depends on how well you maintain your vehicle. I don't care if it's a civic, toyota, chevy, ford, bmw or whatever. Granted, there are differences in initial quality which can contribute to breakdowns that you have no control over but most vehicles that are well maintained last a really long time, regardless of mileage.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:20 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

if youre gonna build it anyways, get it bored 30 over and put a forged rebuild kit in it. youll be in good shape then.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

sry guys there is only one way to answer this question and u all know it to. It depends on how the person before took care of it.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:26 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

that will cost more like $1,500 instead of $500, but hey it's only money

ORIGINAL: ikeybmg

if youre gonna build it anyways, get it bored 30 over and put a forged rebuild kit in it. youll be in good shape then.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:38 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

but in any case, new internals would be a good idea.
ORIGINAL: r.barn

that will cost more like $1,500 instead of $500, but hey it's only money

ORIGINAL: ikeybmg

Old 04-21-2006, 01:50 PM
micfly83

Wait i'm a little confused, a rebuild kit costs $1500, and a new engine would cost $900, um..

I honestly dont have the tools or mechanical skills (besides my dad who rebuilt cars back in the day, but does not want it going on in his garage haha) to replace an engine. I "think" i can do the H/C/I with the help of some books.

I know it depends on the driver and what not, but how long would you say a normal engine and tranny lasts with normal spirited driving.

Thanks for the input so far guys, keep it comin

Quick Reply: How long do they last, and your opinion please :D