5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Late introduction and control arm question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 04:54 AM
93foxgt
3rd Gear Member

Default Late introduction and control arm question

Hello everyone.

I made a post yesterday about my pony's suspension and just realized, with the dodging of management and all in the work place, that I never got to introduce myself or my ride.

My name is Tom and I drive a "Corral Blue/grey" 93 mustang GT. I've had the car for about 2 years now and it's I have a few bolt-ons installed: MAC fenderwell intake, Cobra manifold, Cobra MAF, 2 1/4" flowmasters, 73mm steel-piston lincoln calipers, new rotors (soon w/Cobra MC if I can get a hold of the "T" connector), and my now favorite 2- BBK Strut tower brace and Competition Engineering bolt-in subframe connectors (I can't weld... yet...).

I was once hooked on power and spent all of my pennies on that, now after I installed the chassis toys I want to throw dinero down into the handling of the car.

Some pics:
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...xgt/lights.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t/smengine.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2.../ponyfront.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g237/93foxgt/diag.jpg

Also, I have to replace my rear control arm bushings as they have been making a horrible banging sound since I bought the car, I just never turned enough to actually care about it until I got my frame stiff enough to actually want to think about road racing. I was wondering which, if any, brand in the world of upper and lower control arms stands out for exceptional quality and performance in terms of handling for the budget racing enthusiast (my car is also my daily for now, so keep that in mind too). Is there a specific set of bushings out there also that stand above the rest in terms of performance for price? Also, what is the difference between quality control arms and stock ford rear arms?

I know I have alot of questions, but some of you guys have ALOT more experience than anyone would dream. Let me know what you think. I look forward to the day that I can actually help some pony newbs out with some tech problems.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:56 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Late introduction and control arm question

i have upr but theyre more for the straght line racer. id say max motorsports or steeda but be excellent.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:58 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Well everyone ive talked to praises the HPM mega bite Jrs. I got a pair of them myself. Bushing wise, use a ball bearing bushing in the front of the control arm where it ties into the car and a polyurethane bushing where the control arm bolts to the axle. Then get you some Torque Box re-enforcment plates on the chassis, they just weld on where the Rear control arm bolts to the chassis, keeps the floor pan from ripping.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:59 AM
93foxgt
3rd Gear Member

ok, what's the difference? I don't know jack about mustang suspension- I just started on it with the chassis strengthening. I never thought I'd care but man was I wrong.

Also, what about a shock tower brace in the back? Why are they so hard to find?

*EDIT* that was another question: with new control arms you need to reinforce the torque boxes right? Do you need to get the whole upper and lower torque box kit or just the plate that mounts onto the bottom? We're not talking about a high HP mustang here, maybe 250 or so to the wheels TOPS when I'm done.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:00 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

you mean a sway bar? contrpl arms just prevent axle roll. it basically helps keep yur wheels from spinning
Old 04-26-2006, 05:01 AM
ZoSo15
2nd Gear Member

i wish i could help, but i don't know much about suspension yet. you have a nice lookin fox there man. welcome to the forums

ps. why does everybody black out their license plates? it's not like this is a weed site
Old 04-26-2006, 05:04 AM
93foxgt
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I know about what the sway bar does, but since I have to replace my control arm bushings, and since I've heard that some aftermarket rear control arms will help you hold the road better (and let you remove the quad shocks for fatter rubber) I figure I might as well change those while I'm up there too.

zoso- thanks man, and about the plate blacking: I tint my plates so the light cameras can't see 'em ... joking, just a habit from other mustang forums, everyone gets everyone else paranoid with a stupid story and so the common reaction is to freak out- ie. black out your plates so your car doesn't get pinned for being too green, loud, fast, or making crack hah.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:06 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

I did the same thing, spent all the money on the motor...got done and it was useless...i got beat on by totally stock SN95's and they only put out 215 at the crank. I was pissed. SOOooo, i got some Mega bite Jrs, and some 4 banger springs up front and took the front sway bar off.

But since your wanting twisty turny handling, get some wide tires front and back, put in a 6 point roll cage, that'll make ur car stiffer than hell. Some Maximum Motorsports lowers are awesome as well.
For the torque boxes, you really only need lower.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:10 AM
93foxgt
3rd Gear Member

I love you guys already hehe. Quickest and thickest mustang-related responses of my life.