5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

engine/trans problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 02:03 AM
five0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: engine/trans problem?

how many miles does this car have on it?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:05 AM
Stang Angel
1st Gear Member

almost 50,000
Old 03-31-2004, 02:40 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

wait until they see the prices on new ones and they will have a change of heart! your problem is not all that expensive to fix and the car is 10 years old, so the insurance is a lot cheaper, and you could even drop the collision coverage and save some more money there. these are just a few of the points you can use in a polite discussion with your parents to get them to let you keep the car. 50,000 miles is nothing on a Mustang and the longer you own a car, the cheaper it is to operate by the mile. another fact for your discussion. notice I use the word discussion, not argument! maybe you could offer to help pay for the repairs?? if you really want to keep it, there are ways to convince your folks to let you do it, but you have to act like an adult about it and not pout like a little kid!
Old 03-31-2004, 07:28 PM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

It would be a cold day in hell before i was forced into selling my stang!

Do what you can to keep it i hope it works out for you.

Roundmans right if you have a job or money saved offer to help with it or use that money to make the tranny stronger and more reliable in the future.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:32 PM
94BlackGT
2nd Gear Member

WOW! 50,000 is nothing definately convince them to let you keep it. Mine has 150,000 on it and runs almost perfectly. I'm sure the next thing to go is the tranny but hey, that is expected. Plus, tell your parents how super cool 94-95 GT's are and that it will be worth a lot of money someday.
If they insist on getting rid of it tell them you'll settle with a 03 Cobra.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:07 AM
Stang Angel
1st Gear Member

roundman, what do you mean my problem isn't that expensive to fix? if i need a new transmission isn't that pretty costly? i don't yell when they talk about selling it either. i do have a job and i pay my mom money each week for my car. i have honors in school so that helps with insurance and what not. i've put my money into things with the car too. i don't make enough at work though to handle major repairs so that's the problem. my parents have always paid for that. even if they fix the transmission, or whatever is wrong with it, they want to sell it too mainly because it's basically impossible to drive in the snow. they keep saying they want me to have something with less power. they feel a v6 will still be safer than the v8. i don't wanna sell it specifically for that reason. i like being able to say i have a 5.0 mustang. my brother even thinks i should sell it and says that people come into his dealership like crazy looking for 5.0s. my mom won't even let me take my car on the highway to school now so they wanna get it fixed asap. i guess we'll see what happens.[sm=smiley29.gif]
Old 04-01-2004, 01:26 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

they have a point about driving it in the snow, but I don't know how much snow you get on average. a V-6 wouldn't necessarily be much better, they both sit low to the ground and have rear wheel drive. ask around among your friends and co-workers and find out where the best and most honest transmission shop near you is and get them to diagnose the problem first, then you'll have a better idea how much money is involved. It could be as minor as the filter is plugged or the bands need adjusting or something else like the other guys mentioned which won't be that costly. Get the facts first before a final decision is made. Rebuilt transmissions are the best option if the thing is that bad. Another option is to get a used one from the local auto recycling center. Does your school district have an auto shop where the students do repairs, maybe they could help you too. If your folks are bound and determined to sell it, then in my opinion, sell it as is and don't bother fixing it. your brother says there is a high demand for them in your area, so let it go as is, tell the buyer it needs transmission work and save the dough for it's replacement! I'm sorry things are looking bleak for you right now, but it might not be as bad as you think! Pay $100 or so and get the diagnosis and then go from there.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:37 PM
Stang Angel
1st Gear Member

ok, so my car was taken in today to see what was wrong with it and get an estimate. they say it's "falling out of gear" and will cost about $1400. after hearing this i was then told by my mom that we're gonna be looking for a new car for me. my mom says she could deal with keeping the car if it weren't for the fact that 6 months outta the year i can't drive it if we get snow. i'm so pissed off at this point i don't even know what to do. i keep trying to explain why i wanna keep it but i think all they hear is "blah blah blah"[sm=smiley7.gif]
Old 04-06-2004, 10:27 PM
fantasyfords
1st Gear Member

Hey I have a suggestion. Try to find a little beater car to drive in the snow. something front wheel drive. You should be able to find something for a few hundred dollars. Put the stang away for now and save up for that tranny rebuild. Also I would ALWAYS recomend a second opinion. Im shure the shop told you exactly what was wrong with the tranny so call around and ask what a tranny rebuild would be for your year. Whatever you do, if you do get to keep the car do your homework on finding somebody for your tranny rebuild. If its not done right the first time you will run into more problems which will just be more ammo for your parents argument for it being a lemon. I would also recommend if you do get to keep the car, invest 50 dollars in a aftermarket tranny cooler. For that little amount of money you will be taking a major load off your trans, because we all know the major auto transmission killer is heat. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Stang Angel
1st Gear Member

those are good suggestions but 1.) the car is already being fixed. it was just taken in today for the opinion and they're fixing it right away too. 2.) the whole getting a beater car isn't really an option. my family is tight on money and we already look like we run a used car lot from our driveway. there's really no room for another car. i guess my mom said that we'll keep mine through the summer so at least i have it in the nicer weather but after that i dunno what's gonna happen. thanx for the advice though

Quick Reply: engine/trans problem?