5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

relocated battery now problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 01:01 AM
infantrycav
2nd Gear Member

Default relocated battery now problems

ok so i rekocated my batt. with the summit kit. With the 2gauge wire it started up fine at first, then I drove around and noticed the volt gauge barely got above the red marking. I stopped to get some dinner and it started back up hard but started. Then I got back home and turned it off and decided to try starting it again and now it won't start, you can tell its just lacking the amperage, cuz the elec. fan comes on and voltage is around 9V. but still fine even after cranking for a few seconds.

So my best bet is that I should upgrade my wiring to 0gauge. I tried a better ground, i'm using the seat belt bolt. but no luck. I drove around on sunday with the ground on the bumper supposrt and it kept dying, and i'd get jumped but the car jumping me would damn near be drained before i started. The battery tested good, so i figure the extra wire just adds too much resistance and thats why it has a very hard time starting and only takes 9-10 volts charge while running, even when i rev it to 4K RPM the volts still stay the same.

What do you think. I wish i hadnt even bought the kit now cuz its just leading to more problems... but hopefully it'll be an easy fix
Old 05-05-2006, 01:20 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default RE: relocated battery now problems

what alt. are you running? my stock 75amp died about a week after i relocated my battery.

also, dont ground to anything in the back of the car. too much work for the electrical system. i had charging issues even with my 150amp alt. to fix it i ran a 2g cable from my battery and grounded in in the hatch. from the same bolt that was used to ground it, i ran a 2g cable all the way up to the alt. bracket. from that bolt i ran a 2g cable to the frame on the drivers side and from that same point i ran a 2g cable to the block where the stock ground wire used to be. so basically i have the block, my alt, and two spots on the body grounded right to the negative terminal. no issues since
Old 05-05-2006, 01:33 AM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

Upgrading and replacing grounds can _really_ help out your electrical system... I have a background in the car audio industry and have upgraded the grounds on all of my past vehicles. Some people even claim it adds (or "free's up" horsepower). High strand count car audio wire does the trick nicely...
Old 05-05-2006, 06:33 PM
infantrycav
2nd Gear Member

hey lucky13 where in the hatch did you ground to? I only have 3' of 2ga for the ground so i used the seat belt bolt, I'm gonna go try and sand it better and use one of those washers that cut into the metal. I wanted to use the bumper support but wouldn't reach. Als, I'm having trouble finding places that sell wire in bulk at that size, 2ga, that sounds like a lot of freakin wire you are running in your car but hey, if it works.

i have the stock 89 alt. in now, the crank is underdriven but the alt. pulley is stock. Looking at getting a 130a or bigger alt. soon because of the extra load from the fan. My battery is pretty ****ty too, its like 625CA and has been run down dozens of times, I keep having it tested but they say it always passes, so i might just spring for another red top too.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:17 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

1) Use '00' gauge welding cable for the battery cable.
2) Make sure all grounds are clean, meaning NO paint where the ground goes.
3) Use ground from battery, engine to frame, and any electronics to frame.
4) Solder all connections, good idea to double shrink tube them too.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:18 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Standard alternator should be ok if it's not wore out........
Old 05-06-2006, 01:23 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

i used 00 for pos...0 grounded to my block yes expensive,and alot of wire but. i never had a problem...
Old 05-06-2006, 01:16 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

dam summit for using that cheap wire..cheap bastards when your starter gets hot it takes more juice to start...it takes 9.6 volts to start a car
Old 05-06-2006, 01:43 PM
88GT_5.0Stangman
2nd Gear Member

ive got a summit kit and it works great i grounded it to the frame rail above the gas tank i also have a 140amp alt but ive had it since last summer and no prob
Old 05-06-2006, 03:40 PM
infantrycav
2nd Gear Member

i think the box sucks, how did you position the jbolts with the holddown, are ur bolts on the inside or outside of the box Stangman?

Quick Reply: relocated battery now problems