5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Aaronic

Default Hood

My hood on my 1987 Mustang won't shut. The guy I bought it from said he had a fiberglass hood on there and he said now that the original is on there I just need to slam it hard for it to latch on.

Well I slightly broke the front end under where the hood hits because I was slamming it so hard. I since got a new latch for the bottom from the scrapyard but I think the metal part on the hood that locks in isn't proper. Can someone give me a few tips as to what to try to get it to shut? Or maybe some pictures of how yours looks.

The bottom latch does go inside of the hole in the hood, but that metal bar doesn't lock down for some reason. I really don't want to have to bring it to Ford or any other mechanic shop at all...

Thanks in advance,

Aaron
Old 05-10-2006, 01:39 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hood

some hood pins would look great and hold it down.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:41 PM
12Pack
2nd Gear Member

Hood Pins all the way, It will only cost you like $15 and take up 30 minutes of your time. Even if you having a problem getting it to close and some how you manage to ge it closed, I'd be scared it would pop up on me.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:47 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

+1. when you actually have one fly up in your face, youll get pins. it sucks when youre doing 70 when it happens. 2k worth of damage kind sucks.[>:]
ORIGINAL: 12Pack

Hood Pins all the way, It will only cost you like $15 and take up 30 minutes of your time. Even if you having a problem getting it to close and some how you manage to ge it closed, I'd be scared it would pop up on me.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:53 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

I agree with these guys. I actually don't even have a hood latch, just hood pins. They look good and serve a function as well.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who's had the misery of have a hood fly up while driving. :P
Old 05-10-2006, 01:54 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Ive had the hood fly up.... but did minimal damage since I was only going about 30mph. Just cracked the top part of the cowl (4') and put a nice line of paint across my windshield
Old 05-10-2006, 01:55 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

almost anyone with hoodpins has had a flyup...lol. dude i was on the highway at night and was kicked back, all dazed out. it sounds like a shotgun going offf in your car when it hits, shattered my windsheild, put dents in my top and screwed my cowl hood to hell. so if you have a fiberglass hood, you cannot go wrong with hoodpins.
ORIGINAL: FordMustangXBA

I agree with these guys. I actually don't even have a hood latch, just hood pins. They look good and serve a function as well.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who's had the misery of have a hood fly up while driving. :P
Old 05-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Aaronic

Sorry guys maybe I didnt mention it but I just have the regular hood now. I don't have a fiberglass one... But if I could still use the hoodpins I will do that for sure if I can fix the problem for only $30!

So does this work on regular hoods??

Thanks for the replies
Old 05-10-2006, 01:59 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

yea they work on any hood, the regular hood if anything, is easier to drill. they will look good too. find some cheap ones on ebay. you can get locking pins or the cool ones with the hitch pin hold.
ORIGINAL: Aaronic

Sorry guys maybe I didnt mention it but I just have the regular hood now. I don't have a fiberglass one... But if I could still use the hoodpins I will do that for sure if I can fix the problem for only $30!

So does this work on regular hoods??

Thanks for the replies
Old 05-10-2006, 02:00 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

lol, THat sucks pretty bad. When it happened to me I wasn't in my car, thank God. I was with a friend and she was driving. Her car died so she called me to come help her, and after we got it running again I told her to shut the hood while I was putting the stuff back in my truck. So we got in the car to make sure it was going to run ok and we're going about 50 mph when the hood starts to rise slowly...I was just like...oh ****, this is bad. Next thing you know it flies up and smashes the whole windshield. She started screaming so I just grabbed the wheel and told her to step on the brake gently and slow down...Thankfully there wasn't anyone in front of us. That was enough excitement for one night.

Quick Reply: Hood