5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

rear main...and shop....now leaks worse

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 07:51 PM
mblaster890

Default rear main...and shop....now leaks worse

ok to start things off, the car is a 95 gt 5-speed. ever since the day i bought the car, it has leaked oil....started off a lil bit, now leaves grapefruit sized oil spots if let sitting all day.

well, i bit the bullit, and paid my local mustang shop to do the rear main. and while they were at it do a d/f clutch alum flywheel

aaaaanyways, get the car back...now it leaks worse. yes worse. prolly a basketball sized spot now. i went back and they saiud they will get to it in a few days when they have time. then i asked if there would be any more charge on my part as i just shelled out $750 to have everything done, he said "we'll see" then he proceeded to tell me how if the engine isnt torn down, it will prolly never seal etc.....

now my question now is, what do i do? he said the bellhousing was full of oil, but didnt really notice anything wrong w/ the old gasket and the block above the tranny is dry as a bone. i have almost $1500 wrapped up in fixing this oil leak and i am still at square 1. (oil pan, oil pan gasket, oil pump, pickup, etc...now this)

i'm soooo far beyond frustrated on this. any help guys?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:02 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: rear main...and shop....now leaks worse

It sounds like they didn't even put a rear main seal in. Tearing the engine down has nothing to do with replacing rear main. It just simply presses in and thats that. Tell them to put a new one in and clean the hell out of your new flywheel and clutch.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:42 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

either its not seated right, or they f'ed it up when they put it in b/c of carelessness
they should fix it for nothing, its their fault
Old 05-11-2006, 12:08 AM
mblaster890

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

It sounds like they didn't even put a rear main seal in. Tearing the engine down has nothing to do with replacing rear main. It just simply presses in and thats that. Tell them to put a new one in and clean the hell out of your new flywheel and clutch.
well, they showed me the old seal...and it looked fine besides the big screwdriver mark in it from prying it out.... he told me *after i started bitching today* that "you really cant guarantee a main seal to be okay unless the engine is out, that way u can pull the rear cap and slide the seal in, then set the cap on it and tighten it down..."

now if he knew that, why didnt he tell me this before he took my $$???

this crap is making me wanna sell my car[:'(]
Old 05-11-2006, 12:09 AM
mblaster890

and as far as cleaning the new clutch and f/w....ha, they didnt even clean out the 1/2 quart of oil in the bellhousing[:@]
Old 05-11-2006, 12:13 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

the guy is hardcore bull****ting you.. with the 5.0, once the trans, clutch/fly is out the rear main seal is SIMPLE

My guess would be that when they pryed it out with the screwdriver, they must have left an indentation on the housing, causeing a larger area for the oil to leak.

anyone who has seen a 302 without a tranny and clutch/fly knows exactly what i mean. If they did knick the metal, they can put some red rtv silicone on the new seal to fill in the hole.... its what i had to do on my old F2T (i know you under stand that... lol)
Old 05-11-2006, 07:23 PM
mblaster890

ok, just dropped the car back off.....the guy that did the work was all like"so it leaks worse ehh, hmm, i hope i just messed up the oil pan gasket a lil bit. because if the crank is messed up at all it will never be ok....you should just sell it"

are u ****ing kidding me? the guy that did the work is now telling me i may be screwed and to just sell it? wow....

so now my question is, if i get the car back, and it's still leaking...what do i do? go after them for it? let it go? take it somewhere else and pay $$ to do it all over again? wtf...........
Old 05-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

Im with adder. this guy is taking u for a ride, find a new shop bro.

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

the guy is hardcore bull****ting you.. with the 5.0, once the trans, clutch/fly is out the rear main seal is SIMPLE

My guess would be that when they pryed it out with the screwdriver, they must have left an indentation on the housing, causeing a larger area for the oil to leak.

anyone who has seen a 302 without a tranny and clutch/fly knows exactly what i mean. If they did knick the metal, they can put some red rtv silicone on the new seal to fill in the hole.... its what i had to do on my old F2T (i know you under stand that... lol)
Old 05-11-2006, 07:40 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: mblaster890

ok, just dropped the car back off.....the guy that did the work was all like"so it leaks worse ehh, hmm, i hope i just messed up the oil pan gasket a lil bit. because if the crank is messed up at all it will never be ok....you should just sell it"

are u ****ing kidding me? the guy that did the work is now telling me i may be screwed and to just sell it? wow....

so now my question is, if i get the car back, and it's still leaking...what do i do? go after them for it? let it go? take it somewhere else and pay $$ to do it all over again? wtf...........
take your reciepts and call a lawyer
Old 05-11-2006, 08:57 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

if you get the car back and its not fixed, get a lawyer. then when you get money from them bending you over, take the money and build your bottom end. new crank, rods and pistons