5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Which Motor Is Better?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 03:56 PM
SmokumsTheBear
2nd Gear Member

Default Which Motor Is Better?

I'm going to be purchasing a new motor for my mustang [sm=yeahsmile.gif] and I figured that I would buy one from SummitRacing.com. I've found 2 motors at the same horsepower level for about $100 difference between the two. They are the Ford Racing motors.
Here:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

and:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

One motor says that it produces "significant" power after 2500RPM and the other at 4000RPM. I also noticed that the exhaust lift and the Intake and exhaust duration are just a tad different between the two motors. My question is, which one will be better for daily driving and the occasional strip meet?
Thanks in advance.[8D]
Old 05-11-2006, 04:00 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Which Motor Is Better?

Nice motors BUT I think those use a stock style block. Which means you can't really put more than 400 to 450 horse in them before they start weakening. If you want to eventually make more power do yourself a favoe and buy a Dart block now.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:04 PM
ZoSo15
2nd Gear Member

the first one is probably better for a street engine. the second one will have you sitting there waiting for your revs to climb above 4k every time you want to go fast. i don't know much about the ford racing engines hopefully someone on here can tell you how good they are.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:08 PM
SmokumsTheBear
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FoxRod

Nice motors BUT I think those use a stock style block. Which means you can't really put more than 400 to 450 horse in them before they start weakening. If you want to eventually make more power do yourself a favoe and buy a Dart block now.

Well, if that's true, then what site can I go to in order to have a crate motor built for me?
Old 05-11-2006, 04:11 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

I just looked quick but it looks like one uses the B cam and the other doesnt, but I cant recall the specs on those small cams. As far as the block. Before anyone had any aftermarket blocks, we would beat the **** out of stock blocks, 500 horse, some lived along time, others didnt. But a Dart block for a daily driver is silly
Old 05-11-2006, 04:12 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: SmokumsTheBear

Well, if that's true, then what site can I go to in order to have a crate motor built for me?
Got 7-8k to begin with? Dude that motor is plenty for the strret and will hold together for 100,000 miles easy
Old 05-11-2006, 04:18 PM
SmokumsTheBear
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: myshifter.com

Got 7-8k to begin with? Dude that motor is plenty for the strret and will hold together for 100,000 miles easy

See, I'm not looking to spend anything more than $4K on a motor. It's all being charged on my mom's credit card, and I'll be paying it off...Man I love my mom! I don't want to break her bank, so I have to limit the spending. I'll be stopping by Mustang Specialties sometime this week and asking them about the Ford Racing FMS-M-6007-XE3M engine, err the first one that I linked. My car is going to run like new again . I can't wait.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:19 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Oh I never said that it wouldn't hold up for a long time. I meant that if more than 450 hp was put into it, that it might become weak or have problems.

And Smokums, I am currently scouting around myself for a place that builds with Dart 4 bolt main blocks right now. The only place I have come accross yet is treperformance.com. They have short blocks that you can have made with the Dart block. Not too bad of a deal either. $4295 for a complete shortblock with a power handling capability of 1500 hp. Not that I'll ever see it but it would be nice to know 800 hp can run safely with out fear of cracking block or bend internals.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:20 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Personally, I would take that 4K and build an engine from the ground up...
Old 05-11-2006, 04:21 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

See, I'm not looking to spend anything more than $4K on a motor. It's all being charged on my mom's credit card, and I'll be paying it off...Man I love my mom! I don't want to break her bank, so I have to limit the spending. I'll be stopping by Mustang Specialties sometime this week and asking them about the Ford Racing FMS-M-6007-XE3M engine, err the first one that I linked. My car is going to run like new again . I can't wait.
Theres nothing wrong at all with those crate motors, just order it.

Quick Reply: Which Motor Is Better?