5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Choices.....Heads / Turbo or Blower....?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 09:54 PM
HollywoodGT 5.0

Default Choices.....Heads / Turbo or Blower....?

Ok, i'm asking for all expert and non-expert opinions on this....

Current motor...1995 mustang Gt 50..with....MAC cold air intake, GT40 upper and lower intake manifold, NGK iridium plugs, FRPP 9mm wires, 180' Thermo, MAC Underdrive pulley's, FRPP alloy shorty headers, MAC pro chamber, MAC cat-bak...Set to 10' on 87 ron fuel...Dyno'd at 225BHP / 268lbs/ft at the wheels.

This is the choice...
1. TFS heads (ported), New cam (specific to car), C&L 76mm MAF, 24lb inj etc..and maybe NOX...
2. Turbo setup (single)...
3. Blower setup...

I need to make a choice based on performance per dollar, reliability (this is a daily driver) and Legality (not all of the above would be California street legal). I would like at least an extra 100-120 HP from this little set up...which i should get from the heads...but will the forced induction route get me the same reliability with the power??

I await your responses and opinions....

Thanks.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:00 PM
RawGtPower
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Choices.....Heads / Turbo or Blower....?

Start with your heads. Then supercharge or turbo charge.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

+1
Old 05-18-2006, 11:41 PM
HollywoodGT 5.0

It's a good job i'm not in a hurry..because this is gopnna cost money and i don't wanna make the wrong mistake. All together...TFS heads (ported and flowed) $1750, porting on my GT40 intake to match heads $150, custom cam, to match heads etc $175, Rockers/lifters/24lb inj/C&L 73mm MAF/bolts/gaskets will be around $1240, fitting of all the above $800......Thats just over $4000!! Is 100hp worth it? Or should i sell the stang for 5K, put the 4 to that and buy something else....?
Old 05-19-2006, 03:33 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

youll get more than a hundred if you go that route...custom cam, ported Trick flow heads, and all supporting mods, youll get more than a 100 hp...it will prolly fut a 302-306 motor heads/ cam/ intake/, and cutom potring, youll get like 340 to the wheel..and with a 150 shot of juice youll get 450 to the wheels, but once you get to a point like that you block might not handle it, unless you girdle and such to it....Honestly its hard to push alot horse out of a 306 or 302...Your best be if your going heads cam intake route, get a 351W from DSS or other good company...Then put h/c/i, the 351, youll get like 380-420 to the wheels depengin on your combo...Using a strong sportsman block, or dart. or Iron eagle...
afr 185 heads
custom cam lots of lift
trickflow 351w intke or R maniflod
75mm tb
90mm Maf
cutom berry grant fuel system supporting 1000hp
225lph fuel pump...etc all supporting mods
Then have it completely ported and polish and flow match...this is a somewhat expensive route, but definitly worth alot of hp...around 420 horse to the wheels, just motor, then add your turbo 7-8 psi of boots get around 600-650 hp range to the wheels....then if your feeling lucky, throw race gas when you go to the track, add lots of timming + more boost 10-15psi, youll get something like 850rwhp...youll have a very streetable car that capable of 650 horse on a daily drive that will get 15mpg and see 100,000 miles of life in the motor...its makeing all the parts match to the Hp- you want, so start with a strong block.when that crank breaks or you are going to rebuild, stroke it to a 408...or switch to carb and go with a blower...just match your combo to what Hp range you want. if you need help making a combo, PM me
Old 05-19-2006, 04:22 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Thats the thing... You will be cutting it very close if you try and do a h/c/i and than a turbo/supercharger. Personally, I would just throw a stage 1 turbo on it and call it a day with close to 400rwhp on a stock motor..... but yout talking alot more money than a head swap. A nice single turbo setup will put you in the hole at a minimum of 4K.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:22 PM
WizardBlack
1st Gear Member

Agreed.

It depends on how much more you will spend down the road. If you want to make more power later and spend more money later, I'd go ahead with the N/A route as that will help make more power later with the forced induction.
If you plan on staying pat after this step, I'd get a supercharger as it'll be the mechanically simplest of the forced induction routes.

If you can afford it on your second stage of power adders, build a 351W as they said. You can get it ready out of the car (while still driving). That being said, turbo would be better if you are gonna increase the displacement as it is easier to scale with the motor size than a supercharger.

Mark
Old 05-19-2006, 05:26 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

If you want to go the boost route, at least find a used pair of GT40 or P heads, b/c they will flow better than your E7's. The E7's will still be a big obstacles, even w/ boost.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:47 PM
HollywoodGT 5.0

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

Thats the thing... You will be cutting it very close if you try and do a h/c/i and than a turbo/supercharger. Personally, I would just throw a stage 1 turbo on it and call it a day with close to 400rwhp on a stock motor..... but yout talking alot more money than a head swap. A nice single turbo setup will put you in the hole at a minimum of 4K.
After all the porting and fiting, it's gonna cost me over 4K for the heads, cams, maf, inj, porting etc......but i guess the turbo kit is around 4K for just the kit...not including anything else.....If i get a turbo kit i still have to get new heads (GT40's at least), bigger injectors/maf, and get it all tuned and fitted....at least an extra 2K.....

I'm leaning towards doing the heads etc and later on going with a low boost KB blower to get me to around 450rwhp....that would satisfy this jock!
Old 05-21-2006, 11:43 PM
95gt4me
2nd Gear Member

Heads cam Intake.... then blower

Quick Reply: Choices.....Heads / Turbo or Blower....?