5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine Rebuild Need Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 01:53 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Rebuild Need Suggestions

speaking of this while were on it, i found a short block for $700, are these parts good & the compression being 10:1:

pistons: federal mogul or silvolite
rings: hastings
rods: ford oem
rod bearings: federal mogul
main bearings: federal mogul
cam bearings: melling
rear main seal: fel pro
timing set: melling
gaskets: fel pro
oil pump: melling (standard volume)

Each Block Is Heated In A Hi-Tech Cleaning Oven. It Is Then Blasted, Tumbled and Magnafluxed To Insure There Are No Flaws. The Block Is Then Re-Bored And The Cylinder Walls Are Power Honed to 1/1000 Of An Inch To Insure Precision For A Prefect Fit. The Block Is Then Checked Using An Advanced Dial Bore Process To Prove Quality. OEM I-Beam Connecting Rods Are Installed, Camshaft With Original OEM Specifications, New Set Of Pistons and Rings. Crank Is New or Freshly Ground, New Timing Chain & New Timing Gears.

THIS AUCTION IS FOR A PROFESSIONALLY REMANUFACTURED 302/5.0 LITER BLOCK (.030 OVER) DESIGNED FOR HYDRAULIC ROLLER CAMS (1986 TO 1995 MUSTANGS AND OTHER FORD MODELS).

THESE SHORT BLOCKS ARE BUILT FOR 10:1 COMPRESSION WHEN STOCK 58cc HEADS ARE USED.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:54 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

crane and comp both make great rods, lifters, rockers, etc. a long short block to build on IMO, would be bored .030 with a summit 347 stroker kit w/ forged internals, heads of your choice with comp hardened pushrods, lifters, and 1.6 or 1.7 rockers (depending on cam) new double roller timing chain. either E, F, or trickflow st 1 cam. that would be a good base for 350+ n/a hp. if you already have the motor youre looking @ around 3g's in parts give or take.
ORIGINAL: 5.0 MPG

Boy I tell ya! Sometimes I have to hold my fingers back from unleshing on some of these newbs.......

Yea Ive heard about the keith blacks.

How about lifters and rods?

Old 05-19-2006, 01:56 AM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

Perfect!

ORIGINAL: ikeybmg

crane and comp both make great rods, lifters, rockers, etc. a long short block to build on IMO, would be bored .030 with a summit 347 stroker kit w/ forged internals, heads of your choice with comp hardened pushrods, lifters, and 1.6 or 1.7 rockers (depending on cam) new double roller timing chain. either E, F, or trickflow st 1 cam. that would be a good base for 350+ n/a hp. if you already have the motor youre looking @ around 3g's in parts give or take.
ORIGINAL: 5.0 MPG

Boy I tell ya! Sometimes I have to hold my fingers back from unleshing on some of these newbs.......

Yea Ive heard about the keith blacks.

How about lifters and rods?

Old 05-19-2006, 01:57 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

the trickflow kit im getting has pushrods, not sure and it has roller lifters. and ill just buy some roller rockers. and for $349 more dollars theyll put forged pistons in that short block. im not going to nos or sc so should i bother with forged pistons or not?
Old 05-19-2006, 01:58 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

are you planning an n/a setup or power adder? if youre not getting any kind of power adder you could get away with hyperteutic pistons, etc. but i like forged because you have a little more insurance.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:00 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

no im from ga i wish i lived in texas so i could fine nice rust free mustangs!! but i live on the coast here im about a 5 minute walk to the ocean where they bring in a lot of port stuff new cars etc! the only reason my 65 was in such good shape was cause it was a texas car dso
Old 05-19-2006, 02:00 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

im just going to get the trickflow kit, some other mods like 24# injectors bigger tb, convert to maf, but no s/c or nos or any power adder like that, so i should just get the hyp. pistons? and what rockers should i go with, the tf kit comes with trickflow cam, heads, double roller timing chain i think? and intake and stuff.

and how good are those pistons and rings and bearings and stuff the federal mogul or w/e.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:07 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

hypers are alot cheaper and will be ok with that. forged internals are just more reliable with s/c nos etc.
ORIGINAL: Ecstasy

im just going to get the trickflow kit, some other mods like 24# injectors bigger tb, convert to maf, but no s/c or nos or any power adder like that, so i should just get the hyp. pistons? and what rockers should i go with, the tf kit comes with trickflow cam, heads, double roller timing chain i think? and intake and stuff.

and how good are those pistons and rings and bearings and stuff the federal mogul or w/e.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:09 AM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

Eventually I want a power adder so forged is the safest bet.

rmodel

Oops I got you confused with r.barn, my bad. You are right though you see a lot of rust buckets just rotting in peoples back yard or in fields in the middle of no where....... Ive bought a couple and restored them with a bud of mine. I already want another.... wheres a field or a barn at?
Old 05-19-2006, 02:10 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

ok what about the parts on the rebuilt short block? the federal are they good or not

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild Need Suggestions