5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

FINALLY the car is running!! but one tech question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 10:59 PM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

Default FINALLY the car is running!! but one tech question

okay so i got the car running, broke the cam in. it sounds great aside from one thing:

their is an annoying ticking/clattering in the motor. the car is down at my dads so bare with me as im going on what i heard sunday, and its 45 miles away so i cant quite mess with it again till saturday.

it sounds like the rocker arms are loose, but i tightend them when i put the heads on the car. i first started the car weekend before last and their were no noises like this. is it possible they came loose? they are pedistal mount crane 1.6's do they need to be adjusted?

some other things i had in mind were the valves needed to be adjusted or the pistons are hitting the valves which i hope to god is not.

i dont think its anything major though because when i drive the car it RUNS HARD! awesome power from 2grand all the way up to 6500+ so i dont see it being piston to valve clearing problems, you would think spinning that high rpm would bend the valve if that were the case.

best way for me to describe it is, think of a high mile 5.0 or any other car for that matter how they have that ticking sound that comes from the motor, thats what it sounds like basically only a bit faster.

any ideas??
Old 05-22-2006, 11:01 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: FINALLY the car is running!! but one tech question

well it's a lil late on the valve to piston clearance now...a must to check....i'D SAY YOU NEED TO go over the valves again and check to see if you need shims
Old 05-22-2006, 11:29 PM
sgt_pepper17
2nd Gear Member

check rocker to valve cover clearance... sounds stupid but it's happened more than once. What is the lift on the cam?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:30 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: sgt_pepper17

check rocker to valve cover clearance... sounds stupid but it's happened more than once. What is the lift on the cam?
I worked on a 95gt with TFS heads and crane rollers and they hit the valve cover badly
Old 05-23-2006, 12:12 AM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sgt_pepper17

lift is .512/.512 and 270/276 duration. car has gt40p heads with stock size valves.

valve covers are moroso, i got them for free from a friend and they dont have baffles so the oil splashes out of the breather so i have to get new ones. i will check clearence though.

any recommendations on a good set of valve covers with good clearence?

also im surprised that the cam doesnt sound really radical, my buddy has an ecam in his otherwise stock 5.0 and it crackles harder then mine, mine just has a nice rumble but i think thats because of less duration.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:12 AM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2 kwik

well it's a lil late on the valve to piston clearance now...a must to check....i'D SAY YOU NEED TO go over the valves again and check to see if you need shims
will do.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:49 AM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

no other suggestions?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:54 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

yea most of the time if a rocker is hitting the valve cover you can put your thumb on it and feel where its hitting or take it off and look on the under side of the cover and see. But in all likely hood if it was PTV clearance when you ran it to 6000 it would have let you know pretty quick. Its more than likely just some loose rocker arms. You prob just need to go back through them. Good Luck!
Old 05-23-2006, 01:34 AM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

yeah im gona check the valve cover clearence asap. hope thats all it is.

like i said, the motor revs high and pulls very hard up top so i dont see it being anything big, or else it should have let go at those rpms.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:38 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

you have stock pistons? what kind of pistons are you using. youd need reliefs in flat tops for 512 lift.

Quick Reply: FINALLY the car is running!! but one tech question