5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Underdrive pulley opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 07:28 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Underdrive pulley opinions please!

bbk had the worst reviews
Old 04-13-2004, 08:54 PM
Milky
4th Gear Member

excuse me i meant MAC... smart ***
Old 04-13-2004, 09:15 PM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Well guys i got mine from parts plus for 78.00 bucks and theyre very nice.Even powder coated black.

i did go ahead and put the alternator pulley on for the full effects of the underdrive pullies.I set my idle up from 450-600rpm and its not the greatest but theres a charge at idle so im happy.

I still havent got to really run this and see a difference yet.I took it around the block to make sure everything was ok but not far enough to open it up and tell a difference.As i said it revs quicker but so far thats the only change ive been able to notice without a drive farther than around the block.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:23 PM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

By the way these are aluminum but since i have a fan shroud and you will never see the pullies i didnt buy the polished aluminum i just opted for the powder coated black ones.And the price was too damn good to pass up 78.00 bucks to my door!

I also have to ask if anyone had any belt issues?I finally got mine sorted out and went from a 74.4 inch belt to a 73 inch but finding one was a pain in my ***!I went to autozone 6 times because theyre damn computers would say we have one over at this store and when i got there they didnt!I ended up going to advanced auto and got one the first try!

But its worked out now and other than the damn belt issues with the parts store it only took me about 20 minutes to have the old ones off and the new ones on and that was at a leisurely pace.

But i will say if you idle up around 1,000 rpm you wont have issues charging but my cam is lopey and it idles really low so i moved her up 150 rpm to try and help which it seems to be doing because although its not great its charging at idle.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:41 PM
94BlackGT
2nd Gear Member

GMKiller, where did you get these pulleys from for 78$?

Also, do they come in the painted or polished? Im guessing its more expensive though huh.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:42 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

PARTS PLUS is the place i got them from.Theyre not painted or polished theyre powder coated black.They only listed powder coated nothing else.

Like i said who is going to see them?If anyone is that up close and personal with your ride you have an issue and they need theyre *** kicked!Unless of course you run an electric fan and then would have no fan shroud to cover them up.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:09 AM
D1g1tal V3n0m
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Milky

Why don't you guys trust anyone but march? A pulley is a pulley... As long as its the same size its still going to charge, or not charge, the same amount. I had a friend that borrowed my BBK pulleys and made his out of aluminum at his shop. Same size, just lighter.
March is a proven name. I've read tons of reviews about them.

About the best price you can get the Pulley's is directly from March. I called them and it depends on what you want. But I say go with March. My second choice is Steeda.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:28 AM
fantasyfords
1st Gear Member

I can buy them all day long for less than 50 bucks. And in my opinion a pulley is a pulley. Powdercoated black, brand new in box. And can you believe for that price I dont have a set on my car? (Money has been kinda tight lately). Oh well I plan on purchasing a pulley set and subframe connectors within two weeks, Im pumped. I am hoping to have a very noticable gain from these two things. What do you guys think?
Old 04-14-2004, 04:36 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Alright, I'm lost, I know mac and is everyone who keeps saying march just having problems spelling or is that another company I havn't heard of. Just wanted to make sure.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:55 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

no man, it's March Performance Pulleys. you can find them at a good price at www.holcombmotorsports.com This place also has great prices on lots of Mustang and Ford Racing products too. Their basic set for a 5.0 is $79.95 and they have them for all other engines also. And they ship quickly from stock right to your door. take a look and see what you think!

Quick Reply: Underdrive pulley opinions please!