5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

TPS problem need some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 10:34 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

Default RE: TPS problem need some help

ok this is driving me crazy. after i got a new f/p regulator last night my car ran GREAT. then today it starts acting up for no reason. i just set my tps to .98, ran great for about 3 minutes, then started doing the same thing. i am honestly about ready to jump buy a carb and intake. ANY IDEAS?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:43 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

well describe what's it doing.......
Old 05-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ckyguy68

ok this is driving me crazy. after i got a new f/p regulator last night my car ran GREAT. then today it starts acting up for no reason. i just set my tps to .98, ran great for about 3 minutes, then started doing the same thing. i am honestly about ready to jump buy a carb and intake. ANY IDEAS?
Sure......

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

Sluggish, lack of power, pops and stutters, codes 66, 41 & 91 showing up (assume these are from a recent KOEO self-test scan....right?), symptoms worsen after warmup, spark plugs clean and white read lean condition (confirming codes 41& 91)......things to check/do:

1. Check fuel pressure w/gauge, and monitor it while engine is running with the symptoms, after engine warmup. This will eliminate a clogged fuel filter or fuel pump going 10-7 as the possible causes....if pressure stays over 35psi.

2. For code 66 and to verify MAF power, grounds and MAF output signal, perform the tests given on a previous post.....or...

the last output voltage check is recommended to be repeated by checking it at the ECM connector pin 50 (MAF SIG), to make sure a wiring problem is not a possible cause....use this wiring diagram.

3. Make sure there are no vacuum leaks that could be affecting A/F setting by the EEC-IV system.

4. After warming up the engine and have the symptoms show up....run a KOER self-test followed by a cylinder balance test...no need for a scanner, follow the DIY procedure described at http://www.themustang-net.com/eec.shtml using the CEL indicator, VOM or test light. These self-tests are also used as troubleshooting tools or confirmation runs of repairs, they need to be repeated.

5. In case you haven't yet, suggest to do the salt & pepper connectors fix.....JIC

Sorry man, but need to get the information that will help you id and correct the problem(s), otherwise, guessing will cause you keep on throwing parts($$) at it, hoping they will fix it. My
Remember?....
Old 05-28-2006, 11:34 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

just lacks power. i can feel when its going to start acting up because the throttle response just gets real bad. when it runs good, the throttle feels more crisp. when i floor it, it will take a good 5 seconds just to get out of first gear. i will start accelerating and it will pop, then after it pops and stutters a few times, it just revs realllllly slowly, but sounds fine.

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

Old 05-29-2006, 12:48 AM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

another thing, can anyone explain why the new o2 sensors would make it run good for a while?
Old 05-29-2006, 01:42 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Are you un doing the battery every time you work on it?
Old 05-29-2006, 02:30 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

mine did that right before i blew a HG it ran good 10min or less later it ran like poo, on and on for a week or so then boom HG went[:'(]

just lacks power. i can feel when its going to start acting up because the throttle response just gets real bad. when it runs good, the throttle feels more crisp. when i floor it, it will take a good 5 seconds just to get out of first gear. i will start accelerating and it will pop, then after it pops and stutters a few times, it just revs realllllly slowly, but sounds fine.

Old 05-29-2006, 02:34 AM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

this has been happening since i got the car in feb.

ORIGINAL: Tims 88GT

mine did that right before i blew a HG it ran good 10min or less later it ran like poo, on and on for a week or so then boom HG went[:'(]

Old 05-29-2006, 02:36 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

take it to someone that has a computer to check it out. thats what i would do
Old 05-29-2006, 02:39 AM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

good idea, or i might just carb it!