5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

NEED HELP!!!!!!!PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 06:18 PM
bboothe

Default NEED HELP!!!!!!!PLEASE

I recently replaced the stock 302 in my mustang with a crate engine. I am having problems trying to get this thing running. It will run if you hold the throttle down but will not come close to idling. Does anyone have suggestions? I've played w/ fuel pressure and timing....Please reply with tips or suggestions....
Old 04-14-2004, 09:08 PM
619socalstang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: NEED HELP!!!!!!!PLEASE

check all the sensors(tps,and such) and make sure there is a good ground strap from the engine to the body/frame. also could be a really tight fit and will losen up with time.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:20 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

have you set the tps?..check for vacuum leaks,did you check the 02 sensors?..I would put a new set in...is the dist in right? time set right? all the plug wires going to the right spark pull?...with all this said and is correct then you might need a chip
Old 04-15-2004, 12:38 PM
bboothe

I've got one of the best 5.0 mechanics in town helping me on this. Everything is new and i know all of it has to be calobrated to work. We've played with the timing, the dist. is stabbed right, we've tried different firing orders. Ive replaced the injectors to 24# to match the MAF and switced to a 190/liter fuel pump. You have to make this thing run but will not come close to coming to an idle. Also there is coolant dripping from the headers...what could cause this???
Old 04-15-2004, 03:21 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

From the headers? As in from inside? If it's coming from inside then that would have to be a head gasket and then somehow making it's way to the exhust, I don't know. If it's just coming from the engine could be the same thing or a feeze plug or something.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:39 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

are you damn sure it is coolant and not just water condensing in the exhaust system?
Open the radiator cap and run the car and look for bubbles in the coolant in the radiator as this could be a blown head gasket which is bad news. also how much of the top end of the engine did you have to install yourself? did you use the correct intake gaskets and torque them to specs properly? are you sure all the vacuum hoses are properly installed and not leaking badly? what year engine are we talking about here, that would help to know so we could help you better!
Old 04-16-2004, 01:44 PM
bboothe

The engine is a brand new crate engine. My mechanic and I installed all of the engine components including: a new intake, new throttle body, new mass air, new gaskets all the way around, new headers & gaskets. I was working on the car yesterday and changed the firing order to the 351 order and it fired and ran alot better. After playing with my distributor and fuel pressure, I finally brought it to an idle. The car idles and runs good but it does not accelerate like it should......any comments on why it does not??? Im guessing the timing and/or fuel pressure is still off some, and the TPS may need to be calobrated. It is getting good vaccum and all the hoses are correct. Let me know!
Old 04-16-2004, 02:08 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

assuming you have a 5.0 engine, set the timing to about 12 degrees BTDC with the spout connector at the wiring harness next to the distributor disconnected-the connector is a little black thing that is about 1/2" square and it unplugs easily. also set the fuel pressure to about 38-40 psi at idle with the vacuum connected and see what this does for you. also check the output voltage from the TPS with the throttle closed and set it to .95-.99 volts. all this should improve the performance, let us know if it still needs more help.
What about the coolant in the exhaust? what did you find out about this?
Old 04-16-2004, 02:18 PM
bboothe

It was a mixture of things...it was only water dripping from the headers b/c of condensation but i also had coolant leak in one of my hoses but I quickly fixed that. Thanks for the info..looking forward to tweaking with it this afternoon. I cant wait to get this thing ready for the track.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:16 PM
NinjaZX6R

I'm a little confused on the "changing the firing order" issue. I don't know if a 351 has the same firing order as the 302, but how can you just change it? If they are different, then the cam will be different. Did you have it wrong the first time or something?

-Collin-