5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Haynes: Cooling Change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 11:19 AM
LX 5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default Haynes: Cooling Change?

Alright first off for those who don't know I am sorta alone over here in Denmark with this 5.0. I been reading the Haynes manual and it says that when the engion is cool the reserve coolent plastic container should read at the max cool mark. Also it should read at the max hot mark when the engion is hot. Mine reads there regardless if the engion is warm or not. Also it says to drain the coolent from the lower right plug on the radiator. When I opened the plug the coolent only dribbled out. After I dumped the lower hose and then flushed water through the radiator. What I don't understand is when the manual says to also open the engion block drain plug?? I don't know where that is and my local mechanic who has knowledge but non of this car says not to do it. Can't remember why. Well when I did a coolent change last year I only ended up putting back in a lot less than the amount stated in the Haynes. I am trying to figure out if my radiator is clogged and if I am getting the proper cooling because as we all know the more the temp goes up the slower the car goes.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:02 PM
LX 5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Haynes: Cooling Change?

nobody?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:14 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

never heard of a engine block drain plug. The only thing close is the thermostat relay on top of the intake.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Mustangn
1st Gear Member

there is one I believe it is a 1/4 inch allen key. They are very difficult to get off at leat mine was and If you do you will need some thread sealer when you put it back on.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Mustangn
1st Gear Member

When you drain your radiator open the radiator cap on top also. Use a flashlight to look inside you radiator from the top cap if you see lots of white buidup on the inside than you know your radiator is restricting the water folw.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:10 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

not trying to steal your thread but what is a good radiator cleaner?
Old 05-30-2006, 02:51 PM
LX 5.0
3rd Gear Member

ok. yeah I'm with ya?
Old 05-30-2006, 02:52 PM
LX 5.0
3rd Gear Member

How about the radiator drain plug openor on the right side of the lower radiator??
Old 05-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Dearborn5.0
2nd Gear Member

make sure to put a can of water pump lubricant in with your new coolant after change.

The theory about engine block drain plugs is: when you dump all of the coolant, including the lower radiator hose, you are reallly
only dumping about half the coolant in the block.

This is because the water pump is physically higher on the block than the lowest coolant passages around the base of the cylinders
in the block. (kind of like how the overflow hole in your bathtub/sink drain water that tries to drain water above it, but not any water below it)

You need to open the "engine block drain plug" to get drain this coolant.

I agree with your local mechanic not to crack the engine drain plug. if you run water from your hose through the block, it will push all of this coolant out of the block (low places and otherwise) and 1/2 of your block is full of water.

I've heard of people filling the block with water, and the radiator with 100% coolant, run the engine (mixing them) and then checking the coolant mixture using a coolant tester. other mustangers would know more about this.

That;s the theory i leaned in a autoshop class.

The block plug(s) should be one of the lowest rusty screws on the block not connected to anything. I dont know exactly where it is.

And its definately not on the back of the cylinder head

Old 05-30-2006, 03:13 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

thats what I have used in the past.

has anyone used CLR to clean their rad? I bought a used one and its filthy inside and out.

ORIGINAL: LX 5.0

How about the radiator drain plug openor on the right side of the lower radiator??

Quick Reply: Haynes: Cooling Change?