5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

The official FIX MY DAMNED IDLE THREAD!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 01:55 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default RE: The official FIX MY DAMNED IDLE THREAD!!!!

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

I'm going to call the speed shop that I got my car from and see if they can hook me up with a decent price on a brand spankin new IAC valve. I really don't feel like dumping nearly 100 bucks on a sensor just to find out that it wasn't my problem. Or if I do, maybe I'll do us all a favor and discover that a new IAC is worth the money, and save the rest of us the hassle of trying to figure the rest of this **** out. In the mean time I'm dumping another 250 into the car next weekend to get my windows tinted. I love having money to **** around with during the summer.
I got mine from Autozone for $59. I never had any surging though. I was trying to cure the same 750 rpm lope you were talking about.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:32 AM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

LOL

ORIGINAL: FiveLiterRiceEater

just do what i do.

ignore it.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:36 AM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

check your pcv behind your intake. take it out and shake it lightly. the magnet inside should not move. if it does replace it.

this sounds like a vacum issue. start with this.

if you have to replace it buy a can of seafoam and run it through your intake and check for exhaust leaks while someone stomps on the gas.

Old 05-31-2006, 03:37 AM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

make sure the seafoam part is on video tape for us.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:43 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Why do you guys wanna see the seafoam video??? lol, It's funny *** hell to see the entire neighboorhood go up in smoke, I might just do that today. So I need to pick up a PCV valve and get pricing on a IAC valve, sounds like fun. I'll be back later with some new **** and a smoke show... out of my exhaust unfortunantelly.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

I would hold back on replacing the IAC....if you run a KOER self-test ( http://www.themustang-net.com/eec.shtml ), and you don't get codes 12 and/or 13 showing up.....the IAC is working through its low/high range. Check for vacuum leaks and the PCV....Q here, are you using an open breather on the valve cover?...My 2ยข.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:22 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

+1

I would hold off buying parts unless you know its not working. If you havent ran codes then take the time to do so and you'll pat yourself on the back when you fix the problem in one shot as opposed to the guessing game. Find an Autozone near you and they will run them for free.

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

I would hold back on replacing the IAC....if you run a KOER self-test ( http://www.themustang-net.com/eec.shtml ), and you don't get codes 12 and/or 13 showing up.....the IAC is working through its low/high range. Check for vacuum leaks and the PCV....Q here, are you using an open breather on the valve cover?...My 2ยข.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:40 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0 MPG

+1

I would hold off buying parts unless you know its not working. If you havent ran codes then take the time to do so and you'll pat yourself on the back when you fix the problem in one shot as opposed to the guessing game. Find an Autozone near you and they will run them for free.

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

Is it true that no codes will come up for a small vacuum leak? Been wondering for a while.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:40 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

Is it true that no codes will come up for a small vacuum leak? Been wondering for a while.
True...it will depend on how big the leak is and if it could cause lean codes....driveability is affected though, because the EEC-IV system continously tries to "compensate" by increasing fuel. In specific numbers....if the leak can be "compensated" within the system's 25% fuel increase capability....no lean codes should show up.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:31 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I came home today and ran some codes after running seafoam through it and still none have shown up. I tried a little bit ago to swap the IAC out of my vert (it has a small hanging idle problem, but not nearly as bad as the hatch) and it really didn't make too much of a difference. Another possibility that I was thinking of today... I bought my BBK throttle body and egr used and I've really never seen the back side of the butterfly valve/plate (the bronze plate that opens and closes inside the throttle body), so I'm not sure how BBK attaches it. Well when I first got it in the mail it looked as if some one had welded the screw heads in and placed another screw through the plate, maybe it had broken off? I observed it a little more and it looked like the plate/valve was slightly bent at the bottom but I really didn't think anything of it. Could this be causing excess air flow at idle making it hang and stay around 1100 rpms when I'm idling? I've really been trying to avoid this because I'd hate to spend another 180 dollars on a new 70mm TB, but if that's what it's going to make her run like a champ, that's what I'm going to have to do.

Quick Reply: The official FIX MY DAMNED IDLE THREAD!!!!