5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Timing is out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 10:59 AM
50fiend
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Timing is out?

Just set the timing it's cheap and easy. You said it was running like crap since you bought it, so there is no telling what happened before you got it. The previous owner may have messed up the timing and didn't know what was wrong and sold it to you. Always do the cheap thing first, unless you know exactly what is wrong.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:11 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

right one 50fiend, at least one other person out there has some common sense! LOL
Old 04-17-2004, 02:47 AM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

This post has got me wondering...(scary huh?)

My LX has 84,000 on it now. A friend of mine suggested I check the timing and set it to about 14 degrees, and that 10 was stock. I've read books since that say the same, so I decided to check it. I found it was set at 8 degrees, and this is where I am wondering. Could it be that the timing chain has stretched enough to set the timing back 2 degrees? And if so, that means the cam timing is off slightly as well, right?
Should I be seriously considering a new timing chain/gear set soon?
BTW, I did set the timing to 14 degrees, and the car has a little more pep, as evidenced by my new fast times This was the only thing, performance wise, that I did since racing last week.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:52 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't worry about replacing the timing chain just yet. the timing probably just got off somehow and it took you a while to notice it is all. I've got 108,000 miles on my 88 5.0 and I ain't had any problems with the timing chain and pulleys so far, and I know of others that have a lot more mileage than mine that are still going strong.
times aren't bad either assuming you're mostly still stock under the hood.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:03 AM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

times aren't bad either assuming you're mostly still stock under the hood.
Boy, you have a way of making people feel good, don't you?
Yes, the motor's still stock, just a Moroso tube and filter before the mass air doo-hickey (forgot the 3 letter term for it [:@]) and aftermarket mufflers and tailpipes. Still running stock pullies, AC (well, I don't turn it on ), smog pump, etc.
Do have new rear tires ordered, as I know that's where I'm losing time. Been running 225/55-16's so far (came with car), and got some 245/50-16's on the way. Probably will still have some spin, but not as much, I hope.
After that, I'm thinking March power and amp pullies. I know not as good as some, but I'd rather be sure I have electricity, cuz I do drive it at night
Old 04-17-2004, 03:15 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

yeah, that's my job now that I've retired! LOL
I remember when I first starting racing my 88 back in 94 when the new track opened just south of where I live in central VA. I knew what to do as I had been spectating at national events at Englishtown for 20 years, but those first passes down the track were still nerve racking. Car ran two 15.45 et's with the auto shifter in drive and all I did was mash the gas on the green. One thing you might want to find out about the track you race at, do they have an air compressor where you can get air for your tires or not. if they do, then you can let yours down to about 24 psi or so and get better traction off the line. if they don't, then you can always buy an air tank and fill it up before you go to the track and air up after you're done racing for the drive home. also don't go out there with a full tank of gas, the less gas, the less the weight. that includes removing the spare tire and jack and anything else loose you have in the car. if you don't actually need it at the track, then leave it at home! I notice you have a 5 speed, you should be getting a bit better times that that, but it depends on how hard you launch it too. you shift at about 5500 rpm or so? keep on having fun at the track. do one mod at a time so you can objectively evaluate the effect of each one as you do them, that way you'll know what works and what don't.
almost forgot, don't worry about the underdrive pulleys not charging the battery. it only takes about 1,000 rpm for the alternator with the pulley on it to put out a full charge and you won't hardly notice it unless you spend a lot of time idling around styling and profiling!
Old 04-17-2004, 01:42 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

There's that texaco station a couple miles from the track you can always fill up at afterwards as far as air goes. I have yet to run mine but when I get back home for good for the summer I'll def be there. My tires have a max psi of 51, should I still let mine go down that far?
Old 04-18-2004, 12:53 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

maybe not, what are you running, trailer tires? LOL
the best thing to do is go out on a back road and try different pressures and look at the tracks you leave and lower them as much as you can until you get the widest, most even looking track left from the burnout and that's where you'll want to run them at the strip. btw, I did that trick about going to the nearest gas station too, but it's a bitch when you get there and the air compressor is not working![sm=lol.gif]