5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Head question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 08:01 PM
jasonc84
1st Gear Member

Default Head question.

Im very new to mustangs just got my 89 notch about a month ago, mods on it are ported stock heads,f-303 cam,equal length headers,2 1/2 flowmaster exhaust,upper and lower typhoon intake manifold,MSD blaster coil,8mm motorsport plug wires,acccufab fuel pressure regulator, rebuilt worldclass t-5 tranny w/ pro 5.0 shifter,eibach drag springs,weld in frame connectors, 5 lug w/ 4 wheel disc brakes,3.55 POSI rearend, 18s with 275s. I'm just curious how much of a difference would aftermarket heads make?? I'm also curious what other power adders i can get that aren't huge money, i'm thinking intake because its still got the stock one on there.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:08 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Head question.

heads would make a massive difference, that F cam on a slightly better than stock like yours are is a tad much, not to mention its a single profile cam doesnt help. How does run right now?
Old 06-01-2006, 08:17 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

I have never been found of a letter cam myself cant see why everyone like then so much IMO. But yes a good set of aftermarket heads would make a difference to your liking just dont go overboard and over do the rest of the combo try to match it all up.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:23 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mcfomco

I have never been found of a letter cam myself cant see why everyone like then so much IMO. But yes a good set of aftermarket heads would make a difference to your liking just dont go overboard and over do the rest of the combo try to match it all up.
You gotta remember the letter cams are more than 15 years old before any of the cam compnaies started grinding alot of 5.0 stuff. I had a crate motor with gt40 heads, B303, edelbrock performer rpm intake and 650 holley in an 85 mustang 5 speed with a 4:10 gear and it pulled real hard after 3500 all the way to 6200. They used to be a hot item to run.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:57 PM
jasonc84
1st Gear Member

It actuly runs just fine with the Fcam, i heard it would idle rough but its really not bad. I bought the car as is so i didn't pick the cam, i'm pretty sure the previous owner was getting it allready for a supercharger so i'm guessing thats why he chose the Fcam ive read its a pretty good blower cam. I'd some day like to get a supercharger and a custom cam but i gotta start small just bought the car like a month ago. But thanks for the info guys, and who makes some good heads don't know much about fords i was always a bow tie man growing up.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:00 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

How much money do you have to spend and what are the future plans on the car?
Old 06-01-2006, 10:03 PM
jasonc84
1st Gear Member

well for now i'm mainly just doing some reasearch, don't know how much money i have to spend gotta get my fiance a new car since i just got the stang so we'll see after that. For future plans im hoping to supercharge it, i thought turbo maybe but i've had 2 turbo cars never had a SCed one so i think i'll go that route.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:06 PM
boss429
3rd Gear Member

Im very new to mustangs just got my 89 notch about a month ago, mods on it are ported stock heads,f-303 cam,equal length headers,2 1/2 flowmaster exhaust,upper and lower typhoon intake manifold,MSD blaster coil,8mm motorsport plug wires,acccufab fuel pressure regulator, rebuilt worldclass t-5 tranny w/ pro 5.0 shifter,eibach drag springs,weld in frame connectors, 5 lug w/ 4 wheel disc brakes,3.55 POSI rearend, 18s with 275s. I'm just curious how much of a difference would aftermarket heads make?? I'm also curious what other power adders i can get that aren't huge money, i'm thinking intake because its still got the stock one on there.

??
Old 06-01-2006, 10:07 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Well if I were you I would save up for a supercharger right now instead of buying heads, eventually you need both to get the most out of your charger, but for the power gain of a charger even on a stock engine its amazing and easy to install! Plus you will have the larger $ of the 2 already under your belt and running. Plus maybe once you have the charger it will be enough power and you will be happy and save 1000 bucks on heads. But its up 2 u dude just my 2 cents.....

PS there is guys running over 300 RWHP on stock engines with chargrs. Fuel Economy and POWA
Old 06-01-2006, 11:46 PM
jasonc84
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boss429

??

By intake i mean like cold air intake not intake manifold. It has the stock airbox and crappy paper filter so if nothing else i'm gonna get a K&N filter.

Quick Reply: Head question.