5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

OOOOOPPPPPSSS!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:46 PM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: OOOOOPPPPPSSS!!

no i have no clue how.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:52 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

you need to set 1 valve at a time.
turn the motor so the valve you are adjusting is on the base circle of the cam (no lift)
then tighten the bolt with your hand till there is no slack between the pushrod and rocker arm, this is 0 lash.
it should take only 1/4 to 1/2 turn to torque the bolt down, (I think it is to 18ft/lbs)
if it takes more, then you need to add shims till it is right.
try to get all the valves set the same and you should be alright.
it is time consuming, but it is worth the time to set it up right.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:57 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Well thats one place to start, its a easy fix but you are going to have to pull the upper again. Ok so this is what I have found to be the easiest most accurate way to adjust them.

Step:

1. start with all rockers off the heads and pushrods in place down on the lifter
2. install both the exhaust and intake rocker arms on cylinder #1 when the engine is at TDC
3. You want to find 0 lash you take your fingers and thread in the bolt on the rocker arms until your fingers start slippin this is damn close to 0 lash
4. Rotate the engine by hand you should see the intake valve going up and then come back down, go real slow as its coming down and after is down all the way just rotate the engine a hair or 2 more so you know what valve is on sitting on the lobe of the cam.
5. Get out your trusty torque wrench set it at 20 Ft lbs.
6. Watch the wrench;s posistion before you start to tighten, if it take any less than 1/4 turn or more than 1 full turn you have to shim the rocker arms.(Ask how to do that its a whole nother story if need be)
7. If you everthing went fine that rocker arm is done.
8. You then rotate the engine by hand again and watch the exhaust valve make one full revolution after the valve is closes fully just go a hair more again. Make sure the rocker arm is still at 0 lash ( remember where you went as tight as you could with your fingers) then torque that rocker arm as the previous steps.

Hope that helped, thats what I would be doing next!
Old 06-18-2006, 11:19 PM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

^ did that.

its idling a little better now, i am almost positive the pushrods are too short.