5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Installing a new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 01:23 AM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

Default Installing a new clutch

I need to put a new clutch in my car. What needs to be done with the new flywheel I am buying? Does it have to be balanced before installation or can it be installed right out of the box? If it needs to be balanced how is that done?
Old 06-03-2006, 02:01 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Installing a new clutch

you can install right out of the box, if it doesnt come with a pilot bearing buy one of those along with a tob
Old 06-03-2006, 02:09 AM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

Thank you for the reply. I really do appreciate the help.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:40 AM
1stStang
2nd Gear Member

Just be sure to use some brake parts cleaner top wipe the surface down before install, as most flywheels have a protective coating that needs to be cleaned off prior to install. Usually it's a oil film that prohibits corrosion.

ORIGINAL: onetrickpony

I need to put a new clutch in my car. What needs to be done with the new flywheel I am buying? Does it have to be balanced before installation or can it be installed right out of the box? If it needs to be balanced how is that done?
Old 06-03-2006, 10:57 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

^^^^^^ +1

use a hole can of it, same goes for the clutch disc itself. try to not even touch it w/ w/ bare hands, or oily gloves.

believe it or not, that metal will hold a fingerprint forever. you need to machine a bit off to truly get rid of it. but don't sweat it if you do, like he said.....clean it , then it 3 more times w/ brake cleaner.

also do the rear main seal while your in there...unless it is not leaking AT ALL ,(but i doubt that)

most (not all) clutch kits have the pilot bearing in there, the motorsport HD is a really nice clutch for the money, and if your exhaust is still stock, might wanna think about doing that too. it sux to go through the trouble of removing it and have to put it back on.

to be honest, the exhaust is the hardest part. sorry if i'm telling you this for no reason, but what the heck right?

the easiest way to remove the tranny if you have long tubes is remove the 4 bolts from the trans to bell housing, remove the trans then remove the housing.

w/ shorties, you can just drop the hole thing.

replace the trans oil too, use synthetic, justdrain it all the way b4 dropping it, and fill it from the shifter hole. 2 3/4 qts. you can always pop the filler plug to make sure you don't have too much or if you put a pan under it, dump all 3 qts, and flush that tiny bit of old stuff out.

you might want to get a torque wrench for the flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts.

deleting the smog is nice at this point too, cuz you don't need to rehook the pipe from the pump, just plug it off.