5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

power loss from smog equipment

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 03:59 PM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: power loss from smog equipment

I have dyno'd my car with a catted x-pipe & without cat's x-pipe. No other changes & each time tuned to make the best numbers.... 323rwhp\309rwtq without & 296 \ 294 with cat's..... This is a simple bolt-on motor \ HCI....

So yes.... I'd tend to agree that the more power you make; the more the cat's will affect the power numbers.....
Old 06-07-2006, 05:58 PM
LOUDexhaust
3rd Gear Member

Thats pretty convincing. Are those stock cats? Are there good aftermarket ones?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: anthonydalrymple

I have dyno'd my car with a catted x-pipe & without cat's x-pipe. No other changes & each time tuned to make the best numbers.... 323rwhp\309rwtq without & 296 \ 294 with cat's..... This is a simple bolt-on motor \ HCI....

So yes.... I'd tend to agree that the more power you make; the more the cat's will affect the power numbers.....
Not trying to nit pick but was the "test" done back to back? The same day, same dyno, same dyno operator, same weather conditions?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:16 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I noticed a power decrease in the vert when I removed all of the smog equipment. What are you supposed to do with all of the loose vacuum hoses and stuff after the tubes are removed?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cybermecium

If you removed the smog pump, cats, and put a CAI on, you would not only find yourself with a noticable increase in power, but also much better throttle response (esp. with the CAI) and a little bit better gas mileage, not to mention a much better sound without the cats. Smog pump is a parasitic loss of HP on the engine, and the stock intake as well as the cats are restrictions in your intake and exhaust (try plugging your nose and breathing through a straw in ur mouth.) Even if the HP gain is only 10hp, your engine will run cooler, last longer, and use less gas.
+1

The Kid seconds the info!

The main power you would see would be from disabling the Smog/AIR pump and removing the CAT(s), everything else is so minute that you wouldn't even tell unless you were rocking some serious RPMs.

Great luck to you,
Ivan
Old 06-09-2006, 02:07 AM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Grimace5.0

ORIGINAL: anthonydalrymple

Not trying to nit pick but was the "test" done back to back? The same day, same dyno, same dyno operator, same weather conditions?
Same car, same combo, not back to back(2 weeks between the swap), similiar weather conditions(i doubt identical...+\- 5 degrees temps).
There is no stupid questions & yours are intelligent ones. I figure the real loss being 20rwhp & 10rwtq losses; not more as it would seem. I had no intention of doing what i did; it was simply my not being happy with the fuel fumes..... I really do miss the power; i run 2 tenths slower in the quarter average than I did without the cat's...IMHO
Old 06-09-2006, 02:34 AM
boss429
3rd Gear Member

if they weren't done back to back with the same operator that test doesnt prove much.

there was a big article in my Modified Mustangs Magazine about dynos and how much room for error there is.

theres so many things that can be different in each dyno, you could have changed nothing

and with a different operator and date and what-not, and put down the same difference in numbers.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:39 AM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LOUDexhaust

you can get hi flow cats

Old 06-09-2006, 11:19 PM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stevens91gt

ORIGINAL: LOUDexhaust

you can get hi flow cats

No such thing really.... Cat's all have the same size "honeycomb" in them. The only thing that really changes is the diameter of the inlet\outlet size of pipe to & from the cat. The biggest gains are in enlarging the pipe diameter over the stock system & in turn the cat's inlet & outlet size IMHO....
Old 06-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

you have to look at it like this, eliminating the weight of the smog pump and eliminating a pulley you get maybe +2 hp? its a little noticeable diff, atleast i noticed a diff. with UD pulleys and having factory ac its a 77 inch belt to delete your smog pump. hope that helps

Quick Reply: power loss from smog equipment