5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

carb vs efi

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 11:42 PM
kilobyte
2nd Gear Member

Default carb vs efi

so i know i have been asking alot of questions on here and i thank everyone for there help and input. last question now for awhile i promise. i have been doing some thinking if you guys where to do an engine swap what would you do. efi or carb? now the efi would have to get a new custom made harnesses made. 4 cyl to 8 cyl swap. i plan on driving it a good bit at first and then if i have the money maybe do a little racing on the weekends
Old 06-09-2006, 11:57 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: carb vs efi

look below
Old 06-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

EFI all da way
Old 06-10-2006, 12:07 AM
tcwc
2nd Gear Member

For performance, fuel econemy, driveability, probably EFI. The Carb if done right and tuned can probably match the EFI, but gives you that 'boost' feeling when the secondarys open up (mechanical - ie Double Pumper or Vaccum). I've said it before (HACK will agree), nothing like feeling the secondaries open up when your on it! ;-)
Old 06-10-2006, 12:18 AM
knucklefux
1st Gear Member

i have a carb on my 351, and i'm about this close to converting to efi...any questions?

seriously...i get about 7mpg city. highway is at least 15mpg. go with the efi. if you don't do it right off, you'll be converting later.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:22 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

EFI is my vote.

why custom wiring harness?
junkyard or ebay or
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS
computer (5speed/ automatic available too)
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS

EFI will help with emissions if that is a factor
Performance will about the same
EFI will allow for s/c or turbo to be added easier, though they do make carb'd s/c's too.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

I hear ya there man, that is a cool feeling.

ORIGINAL: tcwc

For performance, fuel econemy, driveability, probably EFI. The Carb if done right and tuned can probably match the EFI, but gives you that 'boost' feeling when the secondarys open up (mechanical - ie Double Pumper or Vaccum). I've said it before (HACK will agree), nothing like feeling the secondaries open up when your on it! ;-)
Old 06-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kilobyte

so i know i have been asking alot of questions on here and i thank everyone for there help and input. last question now for awhile i promise. i have been doing some thinking if you guys where to do an engine swap what would you do. efi or carb? now the efi would have to get a new custom made harnesses made. 4 cyl to 8 cyl swap. i plan on driving it a good bit at first and then if i have the money maybe do a little racing on the weekends
If you want to have more money available to do more racing......a carbie setup is the way. Tuning is required for either, but a carbed option is less expensive + it will take on a similar EFI setup anytime......check this article out.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:29 AM
ACE
4th Gear Member

if your doing a swap from 4 cyl to 8, carb will be alot easier route since all you really need to do to make it work is put a fuel regulator in it and different throttle cable(if that) and a shifter cable. If you go from 4 cyl injected to 8 injected you need to put a 8 injection harness and all that jazz that goes with it. I dont know aboot you but I sure like to test my stuff out as soon as its done and im impatient. in other words GO CARB and like said before if you maintain a carb and get it set up right, its just as good as efi. and it puts that extra umph when the secondaries open up!
Old 06-10-2006, 12:29 AM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

young kids= efi thats all they know
old schoolers= carb, maf, tb, tps what the *** is that junk?

Quick Reply: carb vs efi