5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Another Problem...Fed Up!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 02:37 PM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

Default Another Problem...Fed Up!

Okay, so I've been messing with this Mustang since I got it out for the Spring months and it hasn't ran yet. Here are the links to the previous posts.

https://mustangforums.com/m_1202632/tm.htm

https://mustangforums.com/m_1268502/tm.htm

https://mustangforums.com/m_1364560/tm.htm

I have no idea what is going on with this car. I replaced the cam, heads, timing chain, lifter, roller rockers, and oil pump and oil filter and I cannot get it running. It doesn't have compression. When I had it apart the cylinder walls seemed fine and the pistons and rings looked good. Anyway, I am moving back to Missouri so I told the guy to just paint it and I'll get it figured out when I get back to Missouri, but I need help. I've been told so many different things from so many different people and nothing I've done has fixed the problem. I did find out my MSD went dead, but that isn't going to cause the compression loss. I just unhooked the box and hooked it back to the coil. Anyway, I need help somebody needs to explain this odd anomaly.
Thanks.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:41 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Another Problem...Fed Up!

Maybe the cam is timed wrong? You have the rockers adjusted to tight? That would explain no compression.

Maybe it's just time to suck it up and take it to a pro.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:08 PM
tl86gt
4th Gear Member

+1...if all else fails, the pro will not
Old 06-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

If you have more time, then I would go over everything that you did. Obviously if there is no compression, that is where I would start investigating. Is the Cam/lifters/chain assembled correctly? Is the Dizzy 180*? Are there rings on the pistons??

They may seem like stupid questions, but I would feel a little worse if I thought everything was fine and took it to a Mech, only to find something stupid and small like that was overlooked.

Yeah, and if that doesn't work, then take that Beetch in.

Then again, if you've spent this much time with it already, you might be ready to Deep Six that fugger off in some river.

So, yeah, you might want to take it to somebody before all your "new" parts are at the bottom of some lake.

Great luck to you,
Ivan
Old 06-12-2006, 10:46 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

do you have the cyl honed or did you pull the pistons out and then put them back in with the old rings on them...are the ring gaps lined up? a no-no
Old 06-14-2006, 11:20 AM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

I hope everything I put together is right. I made sure the timing gear lined up correctly, that should put the cam in time right? I am moving back to Missouri on Saturday so now I am working on getting it painted first. I thought of the piston rings, but if I am taking it back apart, I will check everything else. It ran for like 3 minutes after I put it back together and then it died and had no compression. I took some oil and put it over each cylinder before startup which really makes me think it is the rings. The oil probably sealed the piston rings for a short period of time and then once it ran for a few they started leaking. The car acts like it wants to fire, but only off one cylinder.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:10 PM
randy lang

Sounds like valve lash to me.............you should recheck your rockers..........I had this problem when I put a set of roller rockers on one of my cars. I had to do and redo the rockers a couple of times before I got it right.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:20 PM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

I have Harland-Sharp 1.6 roller rockers. How do I adjust them? I know how to adjust them, but what is the proper sequence and settings?
Old 06-15-2006, 11:19 AM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

Well, I put compressed air in the cylinders last night and rotated the engine. The valves were open all the way around. Must have bent the valves. Guess I will pull the engine this time and start over.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dsum14

Well, I put compressed air in the cylinders last night and rotated the engine. The valves were open all the way around. Must have bent the valves. Guess I will pull the engine this time and start over.
Loosen the valve train, and set it to "0" lash, you might have too much preload on the lifters causing the valves to stay open (pushrods too long)....then run a compression test to check....even if your setup calls for stock or x.xxx" pushrod length on paper....do the test. You could be starting over for the wrong reasons.....my