5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Now Bad News plz help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Good And Bad News

as long as i dont have the "low oil" light

i figure its good

but usually my dipstick is off
Old 06-13-2006, 09:00 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stevens91gt

i figure its good

How do you know it is off?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88 rubber eater

lol, thats ok she is. but do you guys have any insight on what is causing my car to shake a little? Also should I change the oil again? thanks again
Let me share my experience with shaking at idle. Sometimes when I'm stomping on imports, racing from light to light, I'll stop at a light and notice that my hands are...well...shaking!

Just kidding. My car does the same thing. It feels like someone is standing outside, knocking against the car at random intervals. This is what I've done to try to correct the problem:

Cleaned (and eventually replaced) the IAC, and replaced gasket
Cleaned MAF electrodes
Changed spark plugs and wires
Changed cap and rotor
Changed PCV valve/cleaned screen element
Changed o2 sensors
Changed motor mounts
Adjusted TPS
Adjusted timing
Used seafoam
Changed a vacuum hose or two
Cleaned EGR valve, and replaced gasket
Performed cylinder balance test--passed
Ran codes--passed
Tested thermactor system--passed

As you can see, I've made an attempt or two to fix this problem. Nothing I have done has had any effect whatsoever on the rough idle. At this point, I don't worry too much about it--the car runs awesome. In terms of what I will try next:

Explore the idea of a manifold vacuum leak (when I get around to swapping out the stock manifold)
Replace the harmonic balancer

Beyond that, I have no idea. Hope this helps. Congrats on the car, and the pimp-evening.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

ORIGINAL: Stevens91gt

i figure its good

How do you know it is off?
When I first got my car, I went through a strange experience with my oil and dipstick. After I bought the car, I checked the oil, and thought, "Sh*t, someone overfilled my engine." My dipstick looks like this: Near the tip of the stick, there is a hashed area--sort of like joining X's carved into it. Then, like an inch and a half above the hashed area, is the word "full". I assumed that, when full, the oil would be to the top of the hashed area, and when low, it would be anywhere below that. So I drained the oil out, so that it was at the top of the hashed area. Then I drove 800 miles or so, and my oil light came on. I thought, "Sh*t, I've got an oil burner." So I went to add oil, thinking it would take at least a quart and a half to bring it back to what I thought was the full mark. It only took like a quarter of a quart to bring it back to the top of the hashed area. So I was confused. First, I thought I had the wrong dipstick installed in the car. Then I thought I had some exotic oilpan up under the b*tch. To make a boring story shorter, I soon learned that the full mark was not where I originally thought. Instead of it being at the top of the hashed area, the "full" mark is just under the word "full"--just under the F. Anyway, just thought I'd share.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:10 PM
88 rubber eater
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys, that now makes my life a lot easier, but I think Im going to change my oil again in 1,000 miles. When I got the car it was pretty black and I thought about not buying it, but for 1100 and the car ran soooooo damn good I had to get it! Twisted, did you see any difference in performance or gas mileage when you used seafoam? I want to do that. OH!, my biggest question right now is about my fuel pump. When I turn my car off my fuel pump stays running and ends up killing my battery. My alternator is already dying (especially with u/d pullies) so this only makes the problem worse. So EVERY time i stop somewhere I need to unhook my battery, its such a pain in the @$$!!! I looked to see if there was a fuse controlling the pump but i didnt find one. Please help e out here guys. Thanks again
Old 06-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88 rubber eater

Thanks guys, that now makes my life a lot easier, but I think Im going to change my oil again in 1,000 miles. When I got the car it was pretty black and I thought about not buying it, but for 1100 and the car ran soooooo damn good I had to get it! Twisted, did you see any difference in performance or gas mileage when you used seafoam? I want to do that. OH!, my biggest question right now is about my fuel pump. When I turn my car off my fuel pump stays running and ends up killing my battery. My alternator is already dying (especially with u/d pullies) so this only makes the problem worse. So EVERY time i stop somewhere I need to unhook my battery, its such a pain in the @$$!!! I looked to see if there was a fuse controlling the pump but i didnt find one. Please help e out here guys. Thanks again
Not so much. I don't know how carboned-up my valves and chambers were though. Although, I bet it works well if the car needs it. And I won't pretend to know why your fuel pump is running constantly. If I were going to though, I would say: Is it wired into a non-switched source, when it should be connected to a switched source (that only runs when the key is on)?
Old 06-13-2006, 11:51 PM
88 rubber eater
2nd Gear Member

Well heres the predicament. Occassionally the pump will shut off by itself, but it normally just satays running. So ill unhook the battery when I go somewhere and when I come out and hook it back up b/c Im leaving the pump will stay off sometimes. Sometimes it turns back on, others it stays off. Im clueless guys
Old 06-14-2006, 12:03 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

My guess would be a bad relay. The fuel pump relay is located under the drivers seat. I would check that
Old 06-14-2006, 01:12 AM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

its full when the oil reaches the arrow pointing to the hashed areas

if its over the arrow its over filled

i over filled mine a little bit too but i just ran it as is. she dosnt smoke and burned most of that excess oil off and its good now. i need an oil change soon and i checked it the other day was a little bit below but i also got a leak at the drain plug. damn washer broke in half.

personaly i wouldnt worry about it unless it was really over filled.

these cars are 5 liters therefor hold 5 quarts of oil. u can put more oil in them i know my chevy 305 was a 5.0L but liked 6 quarts of oil. she was a smoker tho and ate oil faster than gas [8D]
Old 06-14-2006, 01:15 AM
88 rubber eater
2nd Gear Member

The realay is under the driver seat? Like under the carpet? I just swapped out my drivers seat this weekend and didn't see anything but carpet, but I didnt look underneath it. Can you be more specific in the location please 5.0stanger? Again, you guys are awesome

Quick Reply: Now Bad News plz help