5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

UPR Upper Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 06:42 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

Default UPR Upper Control Arms

I purchased the UPR upper and lower control arms.
these are the upper control arms

http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=368

Now i heard something about people not recommending getting upper control arms with Urethane (can't spell) bushings
should i sell those and then get these

http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=118

p.s.

I don't want this car for drag racing it will be a road racer.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:05 AM
50mikey
4th Gear Member

Default RE: UPR Upper Control Arms

from what ive been told and read urethane is fine on the chasis side of the car, but where it mounts to the top of the rear end it should be rubber
Old 06-20-2006, 02:00 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 50mikey

from what ive been told and read urethane is fine on the chasis side of the car, but where it mounts to the top of the rear end it should be rubber
If you reenforce the torque boxes you don't have to worry about using rubber. Those other control arms are adjustable so you can set the pinion angle and have spherical bushings.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:25 AM
DriftVic

those top ones are what i made for my car except i used a harder plastic and it ripped the metal on the chassis side im gonna replace them wih sperical bushings soon. i can imagine road racing would put a ton of stress on those areas.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:57 AM
91blackmustanggt
1st Gear Member

I suggest you take a look at these adjustable control arms made by JDI Performance Inc. and read what they have to say about them. You might save yourself some cash if you mant to go this route. Take a look at some of his other stuff he sells. I know some of you are hesitant with ebay but I don't think you can beat these prices. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...tem=8062218660 I know people with JDI products on their mustangs and they can't say enough about the durability and performance. There's my $0.02
Old 06-20-2006, 03:18 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the help guys. The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to be ordering a Panhard Bar

and Maximum Motorsports says:

"Do NOT use urethane in the upper arms to improve the side to side motion of the axle. Because of the three dimensional movement of the upper arms, severe binding will be induced as the suspension moves--with or without a Panhard bar. This effect may not be evident in a drag-only car, but if you plan to drive the car on the street at all, we do not recommend urethane in the upper arms"

So am I supposed to use Spherical Bushings or just rubber bushings or a solid control arm? I'm not sure what they mean by this.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:43 PM
50mikey
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PX429

Thanks for the help guys. The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to be ordering a Panhard Bar

and Maximum Motorsports says:

"Do NOT use urethane in the upper arms to improve the side to side motion of the axle. Because of the three dimensional movement of the upper arms, severe binding will be induced as the suspension moves--with or without a Panhard bar. This effect may not be evident in a drag-only car, but if you plan to drive the car on the street at all, we do not recommend urethane in the upper arms"

So am I supposed to use Spherical Bushings or just rubber bushings or a solid control arm? I'm not sure what they mean by this.
Well if you going to get that you might as well get the track link also, it completly eliminates the need for upper control arms. You just have to get it with the springs they recommend since its designed to work at a certain spring rate
Old 06-20-2006, 05:58 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

Do you mean this?

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...ex&cPath=21_89

ORIGINAL: 50mikey

Well if you going to get that you might as well get the track link also, it completly eliminates the need for upper control arms. You just have to get it with the springs they recommend since its designed to work at a certain spring rate
Old 06-20-2006, 06:03 PM
50mikey
4th Gear Member

yeah my bad...torque arm not track link

i must be smokin some sh#! today
Old 06-20-2006, 06:11 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

So with that do I still need the Panhard bar? I'm kinda confused on the the torque arm does

Quick Reply: UPR Upper Control Arms