5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

my car ate alot of oil last nite

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 06:58 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

Default my car ate alot of oil last nite

so im driving towards the beach and before we even hit traffic i randomly look down and see my check oil light on.

i pull over, i check it.. its reading empty

i go no way.. impossible i had put a little bit in a few days earlier and it was full.

luckily i had about half a quart in the backseat i put it in and it read a bit under full.

it never smoked, it didnt leak and i checked the back of the pan and drain plugs, all were clean...
i have no idea where that oil went. i checked the coolant but i got the orange color coolant so i cant tell if its got oil in it but it smelled like straight coolant lol

i continue to drive, no more lights. we hit traffic.. couldnt turn around at this point because both ways werent moving. so were sittin in like 95 degree weather and i see the temp guage crawling up. it reached the middle bar and its never been there before. the guage has acted weird not with the car on though. anyway as i got out of traffic i took it on the highway and it went back down and didnt rise.

i think my car has a 160 tstat because it never reaches the middle bar in 'normal' operating temp (not sitting in miles of traffic)
Old 06-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default RE: my car ate alot of oil last nite

My car uses a bit of oil too--about a quart per 1k. Were you driving the car hard?

In terms of your cooling issue, my temp guage never gets above the top of the "L" in normal. This is only since I replaced my radiator. Before that, it used to get up to about half way and sometimes beyond. Now, it's always below the second line. I'm not sure what kind of T-stat I have though.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

By the way, you said your oil light came on, then you added a half a quart, and it was almost full? Mine takes a quart and a half to be full, once the oil light comes on. Strange.

At any rate, one other thing. It's funny that you posted this topic, as not 30 minutes ago, I was out driving the **** out of my car. I was doing so for the sole purposes of:

A. Trying to get some smoke to come out of it. If it uses a quart per 1k, where's the smoke? And why do my plugs look perfect?
B. Trying to see how much oil I can get the car to burn. I haven't checked it yet since I got back, so I'm not sure.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:12 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

well it was about 75% full so 3/4's of a quart and it didnt read full. i checked it this morning and it read over full so im not sure what went on.

im wondering if its in the coolant but wouldnt it be discolored and smell? it just smells like coolant and is orange.

anyway i bought a gallon of oil today im gunna change it soon, been a little over 3k but it dosnt really use oil inbetween changes thats why this isnt normal for me.