5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

OMG PLEASE READ!!! I NEED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 01:34 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default OMG PLEASE READ!!! I NEED HELP!!

OK. Now that I have your attention I am very confused now. As most of you know I just baught a 93 GT with big plans for it. Right now its 100% stock. I am going to do the exhaust and than the next move is supercharger. The thing that sucks is, the AOD will not be able to handle the power from a blower so I am going to get this.
http://www.lentechautomatics.com/aodproducts.html Its the street bruiser good for 500hp. Do I:

Buy the trans first and than buy the blower (I can get the tranny within the month)
Buy the blower first and than save for a trans (it will take me about another two months just to get the blower)
Get gears instead and wait a while for a trans and than a blower (it would take me about 4 moths to get just the trans)

I NEED HELP GUYS.... [&:]
Old 06-22-2006, 01:42 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Default RE: OMG PLEASE READ!!! I NEED HELP!!

why dont you get the blower first, run a lower psi boost to be safe, but still get some power.
then when you get trans, you can upgrade the pullie for more boost.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:48 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Well, whats lower boost? I mean, the stock Novi 1000 (what I am looking at) is a 5-6 psi kit, I plan on doing a upgrade to pull somewhere around 10 out of it. Is the 5-6 considered low? Do you think the stock trans will be able to handle that without problems? The thing is, the AOD that i have in it right now was just rebuilt like 500 miles ago and I can sell it for a decent amount of cash. I dont want to screw anything up w/ it.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:52 PM
FastLane034
3rd Gear Member

Yes, 5-6 psi is considered low. I've really never seen anyone run lower than that (if its possible). I say get 5-6 psi blower and enjoy yourself with it until you get the tranny situation covered, then upgrade to 8-10 psi. ACTUALLY just get a freaking manual, auto is for the lose! my .02
Old 06-22-2006, 01:54 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Well, I know that 5-6psi is very low boost, I was just wondering if the stock AOD tranny can handle that because I know that the AOD's are VERY week. Basically, they are built to handle the stock power and really nothing more.

ALSO:

LENTECH W/ 3200 STALL > [sm=laughat.gif] < T-5

JP
Old 06-22-2006, 01:56 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

you're only going to add about 70hp with 5-6psi, you should be ok...........
Old 06-22-2006, 01:58 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

^^ Thats exactally what Im woried about. It SHOULD be OK. If it were just a old beat up AOD I would care less but it was literally just rebuild less than 500 miles ago and the money that I sell that for is going to go towards a nice stall. Sooooo, Im not sure if I want to take that chance.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:07 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

well if you get annother tranny you will have to break it in for about 500 miles. so if you dont drive it much you can get the tranny first then save for the blower and it will work out pretty good. it just depends how long it will take you to save for the blower after the tranny. but in my opinion i would go with the new tranny first and sell the rebuilt one that you already have. and also i personally would go with a hellions turbo kit not a blower cuz you will get like the same if not more power out of it for around $5000 and it doesnt use power from the motor like a blower would. and everything comes with the kit too that you will need for a stock motor. and you will get something like 380 rwhp and 420 lb lbs. http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/kit_86_93.php
Old 06-22-2006, 02:07 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

I'd get the new tranny first and sell the aod while it's still perfectly good and newly rebuilt. If you add the blower 1st, there's no guarantee the tranny will hold up and be worth squat.

I'd go:
Tranny/TC
Gears
Blower

The tranny will improve your performance anyway. Driving it w/ a tranny rated for more power than what you have won't hurt anything, but the opposite [using your stock tranny w/ more power than it can handle] is not true.....
Old 06-22-2006, 02:29 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Thats exactally what Im saying. Kind of sucks though, I just got off of the phone w/ Lentech. The tranny that I am looking at can actually handle over 600hp but they rated it at 500 because the next tranny upgrade can only handle 700 and they didnt want to make the numbers too close. But anyway, the trans is actually 2K w/ no converter and you can get a package for $2,300 which includes the lentech trans w/ a 9' 3000 stall. Thats not that bad. I think this is what Im going to do.

Buy Lentech.
Sell AOD
Buy TC
Than I have a stock 93 w/ beast a$$ trans that can handle pretty much anything I can give it.
Buy Novi 1000, pulley upgrade, 10psi here I come!

W/ a safe tune of coarse since I dont have forged pistons

Quick Reply: OMG PLEASE READ!!! I NEED HELP!!